HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/85043-marlin-model-60-22lr-semi-auto.html)

Dairy King 01-03-2005 09:51 PM

Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto.

Anyone shot one of these? Are they any good? They got one at Wal-Mart up here, and was thinkin about buying it from there or from one of the sites you guys gave me. But I didnt know how good a shooter it is.

Portage 01-04-2005 05:25 AM

RE: Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto.

I inherited one. Came with a Redfield 2x7x33. Very accurate but very prone to jamming no matter how clean I keep it. I also don't like tubular magazines. Overall, I would not buy one. Your opinion may be different.

Even my sons hate it.

Nomercy 01-04-2005 07:30 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the Marlin 60's are as reliable and accurate as any equivalent Ruger 10/22 ever thought of being, and only cost about half as much. If tubular magazines aren't your thing, then they're not your thing, the detachable magazine fed version can be had for about $30 more than the Model 60 around here, which is still about half off of a Ruger 10/22.

I've probably owned 12-15 Marlin 60's, or variants of this action, and I've also had 20 or so other rimfire rifles like the 10/22, Winchester pump guns, and henry leverguns. I've also toted a few crickets...I've also got two Anschutz target rifles and a Winchester 55 target rifle.

Barring the three target bolt action rifles and the four target 10/22's I've had/built, the Marlin 60's are as accurate as anything I've shot. I've never had a problem with reliability with any of mine, of course, I've replaced the parts that needed replacing when they needed it...if you wear out a marlin, you've done a LOT of shooting, and certainly gotten your $100 worth of fun out of it!

I've only ever had three Marlin's ever give me any problems, and rightfully so in their cases: the first two were my dad's varmint rifles, 60's vintage, they'd seen 30yrs of varmints, not to mention all the dove and frogs he'd shot with them, he hadn't really spent much time cleaning them, and they should have been worn out even if they were kept clean. The third I did on my own. I learned how to shoot with it, my dad had me practice target shooting with it to keep my Winchester 55 in good shape, he had me shoot 300-500rnds a week through it through most of grade school and middle school.

In any of the three above, they were still accurate, but they'd jam every hundred rounds or so...When my practice rifle started failing, I called marlin and ordered a new bolt mainspring, extractor claw and spring, and ejector....I've not had a hiccup from it since. I did the same repairs to my dad's guns and they've given the same good results...of course, one of them had to be retired when dad ran out of ammo and clubbed a coon with it and broke the stock and trigger group-bent the heck out of the mag. tube too.

Portage 01-04-2005 08:04 AM

Nomercy

I would agree with you 100% on the accuracy level. Pretty amazing for a cheapo 22. My M60 was NIB when I received it and I know that it hadn't been shot. I'm asking this in all seriousness, how do I make it more reliable? This particular rifle jams with every type of ammo I have run through it, in warm and cold weather, and after the first or 10th shot. i have not shot this rifle anywhere near enough to wear anything out or if I have then my opinion is now even less of this firearm.

Dairy King, sorry to have hijacked this thread.

ButchA 01-04-2005 08:44 AM

Marlin Mod 60 .22 ???

Sheesh.... Everybody has owned this sweet little rifle! [8D] I have had one since I was 14 and have since passed it down to my daughter. The Marlin 60 is a heck of an accurate shooter and the best bang for the buck out of any .22 on the market.

The only thing about the Marlin Mod 60.... It can get "finicky" towards brands of ammo. Mine absolutely loves CCI rounds, namely the potent Stingers. The other thing that is well documented is that the Mod 60 absolutely DEMANDS to be kept clean! I mean clean, like you clean it after every 50 rounds.

Butch A.

Nomercy 01-04-2005 10:17 AM

Portage, how is your gun jamming? If it's stove-piping or not fully ejecting rounds, check out the ejector and extractors.

Typically, if it's stove-piping, the extractor claw is hanging on too much, it might be because of wear or imperfect machining...more likely it's because the claw travel is restricted some way to prevent it fully releasing the rim. Usually this is because of gunk build up under the extractor that limits it's movement. An overly stiff bolt return spring can also cause this problem.

If it's failing to eject, running rounds nearly straight back into the chamber, it's likely the ejector (although it could ALSO be the extractor, the ejector is likely playing part). This would suggest that the ejector is either bent, broken, or worn, or simply just too short to pop the rounds out. If the main bolt spring is too stiff or the loads too light, it'll also give this result because the action isn't opening up enough.

If it's not picking the rounds up properly, or not feeding properly, check out the feed lips and the bolt face. If your extractor is worn or bent, or if there is gunk build up under the front side of the extractor, it may not be controlling the round properly, so you'll get rounds missing the chamber, jamming up into the receiver or bbl face.

Does it jam with High velocity rounds as well? If your gun is still new, your bolt return mainspring might be too stiff, so it's possible that it isn't recoiling/opening far enough to give positive extraction...High velocity rounds might have enough stank to kick it open far enough.

Do you or have you ever dropped rounds directly into the action or into the chamber? If you dropped them into the action, you likely just crushed it, but I know a lot of people that have bent their extractors (or at least increased the wear on them) by putting a round into the chamber and slamming the bolt home. Marlins CAN do this, but it's not exactly good for them, and can damage them. They're kind of like 1911's, just because you CAN chamber a round and close it doesn't mean it's SUPPOSED to do that. I've heard a lot of guys complaining at the range that their 1911's started jamming, the same guys that I've watched drop the slide on chambered rounds for a long time. Try that with a stock mauser sometime.

It never hurts to polish the bearing surfaces of the bolt and receiver, just don't take off too much. I like to do it manually, wet/dry paper of 400-600grit with G-96 gun treatment as lubricant, but buddies of mine have had good luck wth polishing compounds and just cycling the action. I like to be able to control what parts I smooth, and how much I'm taking off. It'll make the gun function more smoothly, which almost always increases reliability.

Typically, if there's any probem, Marlin will either send you the parts for free, or do the repairs themselves for free, you'd just have to send them the gun.

A good gunsmith should be able to easily fix any of the above problems if you're not willing to try it yourself.

Portage 01-04-2005 11:08 AM

Nomercy

Thanks for the information. I use CCI Stingers and Minimags. 2 types of jams. Round is running straight back into the chamber and just recently, it is not ejecting the shell from the chamber.

I have never dropped a round into the chamber and always loaded it through the magazine.

USMC PMI 01-04-2005 11:26 AM

Each of my brothers and I had one as well, fired bricks and bricks of cheap ammo through them for years. They all seemed to have a personality of their own when it came to feeding/extracting. I will say that keeping them very clean and not over lubricating them helps to greatly reduce stopages, esp. in the newer rifles that are still a bit stiff. Sounds like Nomercy has done his homework on these rifles, I would listen to him.

Portage 01-04-2005 11:29 AM

I am.

charlie brown 01-04-2005 01:11 PM

I have a Marlin Model 60. I believe I got it Christmas of 96, wow, thats 8 years ago, I am 21 now. I don't shoot it as much as I used to since I started reloading for centerfire, and started jumping on various deals.

One thing that I have noticed and it seems that other people have already mentioned is that the Model 60's can jam or stovepipe fairly easily. I have to keep mine VERY clean and it REQURIES high velocity ammo out of it. I have shot the Winchester Wildcats, Reminton 36 grain HP, Winchester Super X 32 gr HP, the Federal 36 gr HP, the CCI Velocitor, and the CCI Stinger. Honestly, the Wildcats and CCI rounds have been equally reliable. I keep my guns clean, so those rounds NEVER caused me problems. The Rems, Federals, and Super X's have caused me several jamming problems.