Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto. >

Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:11 PM

Default RE: Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto.

I used a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 for about five years during my teens (1979-1984). I don't think I ever cleaned it and I don't remember many jams with it. Two of my friends had Ruger 10/22's and those were good as well. The tubular magazine was a headache, but that gun killed dozens if not hundreds of water moccasins in S. La. I'm sure I only fired the cheapest ammo I could find at the local Wal-Mart. It was rarely used in "cold" weather, mostly hot and humid. I remember running into a few incidents where it was necessary to shoot quickly (surprise snake at close range) and I don't remember ANY jams at those times. I also had more capacity than the standard 10 rounds(?) that came in the Ruger magazines my buddies had.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto.

i've had three. the first was my dad's and it was stolen. the next I bought when I was in college. That tell's you that I thought that it was worth the money as at that time I was also buying gas with change in order to get home. the third I bought for my wife because I got tired of reloading mine then handing it to her to shoot. For a while, all that did was give me one gun to reload while she shot the other empty. The tubular magazine is a hassle, but her dad bought her a speed loader that holds ten columns of fifteen rounds. It works great.

I have trouble with them ejecting rounds when they get dirty. Also, i bought a can of remington cheapies and I just gave them away to someone because the couldn't develop the bolt velocity required to eject the round.

I use the golden eagle 38 gr hollow points. I recently was at a gopher town and and shot through close to a brick of these. At the end, the accuracy had dropped off and I thought that it would be good to give it a thorough cleaning. I first ran my boresnake through it and when it came out the end, the brush part of the bore snake was completely covered in wax (bullet lube) this happened again the next time I ran the bore snake through. After that it came out clean. I didn't have any trouble with it beyond this.

When it starts to have trouble ejecting shells, I take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning. I spend lots of time with a toothbrush and nitro solvent. After, I dry the parts and put them back together with as little oil as possible to attract the dirt and grime.