Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 the most exotic cartridge ever >

the most exotic cartridge ever

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

the most exotic cartridge ever

Old 01-04-2005, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: the most exotic cartridge ever

460 rowland = 45 ACP on steroids great caliber good results on deer. Imagine putting 44 magnum performance in a 45 acp that is exactly what a 460 rowland is like.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CZ 550 American in 9.3 x 62.. This classic old cartridge is in the same power class as the 338-06 and .35 Whelen and THEN some, due to availability of heavier bullets without a substantial increase in recoil...

Not everyone on the block has one, but components and loaded ammo is readily available through many mail order houses, like Graf and Sons..

It is available in the excellent CZ-550 rifle, which is competitivly priced with us bolt actions like the Win 70, Rem 700 and Ruger 77, and is an excellent value for the price...Workmanship, fit and finish and accuracy are all excellent, making it a very good value ....
Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 PM

Yes DLuke I know you have, some people are spoiled, you know you should get one for your self.
How about the good old 450#2 Nitro Express, I am building a double chambered for it you will have to try that too.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ever heard of the B-29?

Not the air plane but the cartridge. It's not in any of the reloading and wildcat pages like has been posted here.

A couple of writers several years ago set out to design something "different" and they came up with the B-29. They, obviously, had to have custom barrels, bullets, dies, etc... made. Ended up that they claimed that the bullet diameter of .29 something and weights of 178 (I think) grains had a better BC than any other bullet they have ever tested. Kind of a "sweet spot" for bullet diameters.

I have searched on the net high and low to find this article but so far to no avail.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:07 PM
DM

Bigbulls,

I have some "oddball" swage dies i dreamed up to swage some different kinds of bullets too. The one that i have and like the best is a die to swage .257" SWC "Keith style" bullets for my custom S&W "K" frame revolver chambered in 25/20 Winchester.

The best part is, i swage them useing a spent "shotgun primer" that's been taken apart, and drawn into a bullet jacket... They work really well, and are fun to make..

Drilling Man
Old 01-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey guys, with the .17 cal being all the rage these days. I was thinking of a new wildcat cartridge. The 458-.17. Picture a 458 Win Mag, necked down to .17. The rifle would have a 36" barrel to burn up the powder. And if the action holds up from the pressure, the velocities should be stupendous. I figure around 5000 fps.
Just joking around of course.