Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
question for all u bird hunters >

question for all u bird hunters

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

question for all u bird hunters

Old 08-30-2002, 05:46 PM

Default question for all u bird hunters

i think i might give ducks and geese a try this year. i'm shopping for a shotgun. i was flipping thru the catalog and it seems most of them are all 12 gauge with 28" barrels which is what i'm looking for. problem is there are so many different kinds. i want a pump action that wont bust the bank. i don't know how much difference in accuracy there is with shotguns or if that is even a concern. don't they all spray shot everywhere?
i was looking at some winchester 1300's, rem 870's mossberg 835's and then there are some really cheap ones like rossi and maverick. i'm assuming i want something that goes all the way up to 3 1/2 mag? do i want a full choke or just a modified? let me know what u guys have to say.

cheers

Old 08-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question for all u bird hunters

hmmm i think a 3 1/2 inch is your best bet but you can do with a 3 inch if you keep shots closer...i use a modified choke with a 3 inch mag in my mossberg 500...though i never got to shoot a duck or goose out of hte air im sure i could take one...i now have a mossberg 500 with a 28 inch barrel(good for just about everything under the sun) and a 870 3 inch mag for turkeys and just turkeys with a 21 inch barrel..but the 870s and 500s are nice guns...the 835s are pretty heavy and if you walk far you will begin to hate...stay with a barrel around 28 inch or so for wind shooting....

Old 08-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-30-2002, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

I would get the Remington 870. It's a good solid shotgun & points well. Most shotguns now come with screw in chokes & you can get them in 3 1/2 inch---so you will be set there. For steel shot you will need to down size 1 choke--ie mod choke with give you a full choke. Sometimes imp cly will be better with the larger steel shot. The reason is that steel shot does not compress & a little choke is all that is needed.

I don't like the Mossberg because they seem to have a loose fit & tend to rattle. They are good reliable guns, several buddies shoot the 835 & have had no problems.

You should try them all for fit. I'm 6'1'' & the 870 fits me like a glove, the 835 is too short for me, does not fit my long arms at all.

The pump action will give you the most bang for the buck. I've had my 870 for 30 years now & have never had a problem.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-30-2002, 11:33 PM

I have owned quite a few shotguns in the past couple of years. I would stay away from Mossbergs. I had a model 500 that had the safety bust on it. I paid a gunsmith to fix it, and it broke again in a few days. I then purchased an 835 Ulti Mag. It lasted about 6 mo.s then the pump handle fell off. Since then I have been using Brownings. No problems and I have used them for a couple of years. If I was shopping for a pump, I would look at the Remington 870 Supermag, or a Browning BPS.
I might look at the Benilli Novas as well. This is just my expeirience. I personally have gone to autos now and have nothing but good things to say about them. I have an A-5 Light Twelve with the invector chokes, and a Gold Hunter 3.5" with Invector Plus choke system. It is a turkey and goose killing son of a gun. Be sure to get at least an Improved cylinder, a Modified and a Full choke. I also like Improved Modified, and X-Full to round out the all around shotgun. Good Luck in your search.

Use a Big Lead to shoot them
were they aint.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:03 AM

I baught the Benneli Nova 12 gauge last year, and use it for everything that flies. It chambers all lengths of shells, and is very durable. You would'nt go wrong in buying it, in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest the 870 Remington myself if you wanted a pump. I've owned one for years and never had a problem with it.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:15 AM

I have to agree with big lead, I have a 835 chambered for 3-1/2 and can't get a box of shells through it at one time. Last week I purched a 870 mag for less than 300.00. I have only shot clays but will put it though the test tommorow. Sending the mossberg back in the rem. box.
soonerbred
Old 08-31-2002, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

cryo test the barrel? I shot trap & sometimes I'll shot 300 rounds in a register shoot. I never had my barrel cryo tested nor has anyone else at the trap club. The last bird is smoked just the same as the first one.

Quick Reply: question for all u bird hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.