Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Successful hog hunt >

Successful hog hunt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Successful hog hunt

Old 12-30-2004, 07:34 AM

Default Successful hog hunt

I took this fat sow on Monday afternoon. This was my first kill with a new rifle, a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06, using handloads. I used a 165 grain Core Lokt sitting on top of 49.8 grains of IMR 4064, Winchester case, Fed 210 primer. Previously I had been using a Ruger .30-06 but I couldn't get it to group well. Can't say that the Remington doesn't have its faults, but it does shoot reasonably well. This load will usually do about an inch groups at 100 yards for me.

Next time I hunt for hogs, I'm going to look for better weather. We were at 6,500 feet with alot of steep mountainside between the kill site and the truck, it was snowing, and the wind was horrible. I didn't mind the temperature and snow so much as the wind. The wind actually knocked me off my feet twice getting this critter back to the truck. Never did get my cap back. As we got downhill the snow turned to rain, and the road to mud, no fun to drive on in high winds. My biggest concern on previous hunts has always been meat spoilage. I guess living in southern California can sure soften a guy up!

Old 12-30-2004, 07:51 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Successful hog hunt

Is that a pure russian boar? I heard Cali and Texas are the only ones. How much did it wiegh? Looks like over 250 easy.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 AM

We didn't weigh it, but estimated at about 220 lbs. I've had buddies suggest it weighed more, but without proof I'd tend to estimate on the conservative side. It is either pure Russian, or mostly Russian. There aren't too many ordinary ferals running around this particular area, but some do exist there.

Forgot to mention the real tragedy, or near tragedy. I darned near lost this one, through disgustingly poor shot placement. I was able to stalk to 40 yards because the wind was so loud (gusts were an honest 75 mph.) The brush was thick, so I had great concealment, but she was facing me, so all I had was a head shot. I should have waited for her to turn broad side, but gracious I was miserable, and excited too (I don't get to hunt too often) so I lined up as best I could and fired. Wouldn't you know, between fading light, wind, brush and shivering, the bullet broke her hind leg[:@]. We had to track her quite a ways, and she laid up in a reasonably flat area. I put the coup-de-grace behind her ear from about 100 yards, an easy shot in the open, but I flt really, really bad about crippling her, and REALLY, REALLY stupid for not waiting out the shot for a better angle. Thank God it worked out ok. The guys on this forum are right - - shot placement is key, and so amount of power will make up for a pee-poor shot like I made at first[&o]. The weather was so bad I knew I better take a hog as soon as I found one, as I correctly surmised that there would be no decent opportunities the next day.

Live and learn, I guess.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:16 AM

did ya shoot it in the head????
Old 12-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Grow up
Old 12-30-2004, 11:30 AM

Congrats on a successful hunt, even if it had problems. We have to make mistakes to learn sometimes. My friends and i have always wanted to do a wildboar hunt. they live in iowa and I live in montana so we had kinda settled on texas for a location. But I know california and washington have wildboars. I just don't want to shoot someone's stray pig. I grew up on a farm and some of these "guided" hunts on game farms sound as though you might be sitting in the hayloft of a barn waiting for the pigs to come to the trough. (an exaturation) Not my idea of a hunt, but we can't afford to go to south america and hunt them with dogs to kill them with knives. That sounds insane!

Congrats, nice hog!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:20 PM

quote:

Grow up
i was just asking it looks to me like he did with the blood splat on it
Old 12-30-2004, 01:36 PM

Is that good eating? Congrats!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

was just asking it looks to me like he did with the blood splat on it man u dont have to be such an a** about it
Sorry if I offended you didn't see the blood splat on its head
Old 12-30-2004, 03:16 PM

Congrats! looks like a nice one! we all make mistakes. if we learn from them is what matters. you got him so you didnt do too bad! dont feel bad it is very diffecult to make a good shot in those conditions. i hunt in bad wheather and enjoy it because i know not very many peaple are that dedicated. and i will most likly be the only one out that day. i dont own much land so i hunt public land most of the time. i would like to see a good shot made at the range with a 75mhr gusty wind!

Quick Reply: Successful hog hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.