Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wounded deer part II >

Wounded deer part II

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wounded deer part II

Old 12-29-2004, 05:05 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Wounded deer part II

I do not see any reason for it other then eggo
Is ego the reason there are people out there that are only bow hunters? I mean anybody can kill with a gun. Thats easy. A bow is a different story.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:37 PM

Good question bigcountry!!!! Bow hunters, and I am one, tho traditional, hunt for the challange of getting in range of their game with their weapon. For most of them that is 25 yards or less! I do not know if you bow hunt or not but a GOOD broad head does far more damage then many of the .22 caliber cartridges which in some states are legal for deer, up here in Maine for example, the .22 Mag is legal. For the bow hunter it is the chalange of getting in close enough and you do not see these people using field points to prove their hunting prowess. They use the right tool for the job at hand and also most bow hunters put far more time into practice then the average gun hunter. I have found that most Bow hunters, I am one, have realised that the hunt is the challange and the kill is the secondary aspect. But again they use the right tool for the job, no blunts or field points out there!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:59 AM
bigcountry

I do not know if you bow hunt or not but a GOOD broad head does far more damage then many of the .22 caliber cartridges which in some states are legal for deer, up here in Maine for example, the .22 Mag is legal
Not what I have seen. Any fool could kill a deer with a .22 caliber and a partition at 25 yards. Massive hydrostatic shock with proper shot placement. All the deer I have killed with a bow have very little damage. Nice neat little cuts thru the hearts (if I am lucky with the shot placement. You hit a deer in the heart with a 22-250 and a barnes or partition, and your going to see it melt or explode. I spend 90% of my deer hunting with a bow by choice. The rifle is only there to get revenge for them staying 40 yards out all bow season from me. When Nov/Dec rolls around, I have a surprise for those guys staying just out of range.

Old 12-30-2004, 05:44 PM

What you say about a bow is true but you also get a pass thru which you do not with the itty bitty guns! This means blood trail and for that matter most bow hunters are far better hunters then most gun hunters. Most people who use .22 cal. rifles do not shoot their deer at 25 yards, they count on the flat shooting .224s to extend their range far beyond that like 100 yards or more. If you want to hunt with a .224 and limit your shots to those taken by a good bow hunter, 25 yards or less and pass up the rest then a .224 will do it but you are using a poor tool for the job. Again you are right , any FOOL can kill a deer at 25 yards with a .22, however smart hunters do not!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:33 PM

bottom line is dont be shootin deer with those pea shooters leave those suped up 22's at home and let the kids use em for rabbit hunting
Old 12-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BROWNING.308

bottom line is dont be shootin deer with those pea shooters leave those suped up 22's at home and let the kids use em for rabbit hunting
yes little grasshoper, until you learn to shoot I suggest you stay with a super ultra mag, but wait, you still had a deer get back up using one. Buwahahahahaha!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:56 AM

noo i had 2 get up using my .308 took out the heart and pice of the lungs...but when my father shot his 1300 bull it didnt take a step 250 yds through the heart
Old 12-31-2004, 10:57 AM

yea man im shooting canadian deer not those little puppy dogs u shoot down in the states there are bigger and stronger up here just like us canadians eh?
Old 12-31-2004, 03:44 PM

I think part of the problem is that deer will not eat, stomp or rip you apart if you wound them. If they did then those .22s would stay in the gun rack when deer season opened up. It is unfortunate that it is not the same here as in Africa in some respects. Over there there are a lot of people who will tell you that you can kill a lion or cape buff with a 22 calliber, however they will also point out that the chance of you being killed in the process is very high. People who hunt Africa learn very fast to use the right tool for the job or they get hurt, killed or at best loose a lot of money. (You pay for what you shoot even if it is not recovered.) They also learn that it is the hunt which is important not how small a gun you can use to kill something. Killing a deer, or for that matter any game animal is very easy, it is getting to the point where you have the shot that is and should be the challange!!
Old 12-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couldnt agree more Juddon, couldnt agree more!!!!!

Quick Reply: Wounded deer part II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.