Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun firing when taken off safety >

Gun firing when taken off safety

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun firing when taken off safety

Old 12-22-2004, 06:13 PM

Default RE: Gun firing when taken off safety

Thanks for all the replies and special thanks to USMC. I was a police officer for 7 years and during that time, I served as a Firearms Instructor. I was also raised military on both sides of my family, so I grew up with guns my entire life. I have no problem letting someone know where my weaknesses are such as trigger/safety work. I do; however, use the knowledge and ethics I have obtained in my lifetime. As a police officer, I could share countless stories of "Accidental" discharges and things of that nature from those who carry firearms on a daily basis. Sometimes the basics (pointing in the right direction) makes all the difference in life and death. Regardless of the circumstances, I appreciate the fact that I got to show my son just how easy it is for something like that to take place.

Stubblejumber, I believe you do have the best interest in your replies; however, I would never turn anyone (ESPECIALLY MY SON) lose with a gun that I felt was unsafe. I am not trying to start a huge debate. Maybe I was wrong in my actions, but I simply came here for some answers, similar experiences, and so on. Trust me, I'm VERY meticulous and I will only have this gun repaired by someone VERY qualified.

Night Hawk....Thanks for the defense of my position. I do feel these forums often drift far from the original topic instead of helping one another in the spirit of the sport(s) we pursue.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:58 PM

Tplay you might want to check my post "Remington fires on safety" for more. The upshot for me was that the gunsmith I took it to sent it directly to Rem without looking at it. In light of the fact that the gun was in lousy shape, I thought Rem was more than fair in their remedy.

The thread is in this "Guns" forum on page 2 about halfway down.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just talk to Remington ,they will tellyou where to send it to be fixed for free and if you sweet talk them they may send you a pickup ticket for free shiping .
Old 12-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

One piece of advise that I can give is to not overlubricate trigger assemblies.Many people apply far too much oil to the trigger assembly.This oil collects dust and creates a buildup of crud that over time can result in the trigger not functioning properly.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Stubblejumper said.

The remington trigger, more so than most triggers has a tendency to pick up dust bunnies because its partially enclosed in a metal box.

TPlay, you might want to try to replicate your rifle going off by checking it 4 times that its completely unloaded, then work the bolt back and forth several times with the safety off, working the bolt harder each time until you are slamming it shut. Then try closing the bolt and rapping the butt of the rifle on some carpeted floor to see if it goes off. Then try both with the safety on then take the safety off each time. If it goes off from working the bolt or rapping on the floor, the sear engagement is out of whack and needs adjustment, if you can't get it to go off, then the trigger is probably gummed up and needs cleaning.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:47 AM

I've seen several of the older 700's do this after some "Bubba" did a home trigger job on them. I'm not implying you, Tplay103, perhaps a previous owner. If Remington finds the trigger has been adjusted, they'll most likely charge for the repair/adjustment. But whatever the charge, it's better than an unsafe rifle.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:12 AM

That's just it. This rifle is straight out of the box from Remington. I even watched them take it off the shelf and open it up. It had never seen any hands besides me and my son. We put a scope on it, sighted it in, and went to work. It has been a "tack driver" from day one without any problems. It is only used during deer season, has never been dropped, abused, or mishandled. Just weird to me.

Oh yea, I did mess with it some more after unloading it and it did continue to fire when going from safety to fire position.