Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer? >

Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Old 12-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

In my neck of the woods it would probably go to the 30-06 hands down.
Its by far the most popular caliber, which means that its also probably the most popular caliber with those who shoot rounds through each year when they see deer. Add to that, the remington semiautos are at least as popular as bolt actions in my area from what I've seen, so people think they can substitue firepower for skill.

A .243 will put a deer down just as fast if not faster than a .30 caliber from what I've seen and from what I've shot. The argument that youths using .243s lose more deer than anything else holds no water- sloppy shooting with a 30-06 will lose as many deer as sloppy shooting with a .243.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know if you can blame any particular caliber, I think you would have to blame a particular person behind the rifle causing the deer to be wounded from poor shot placement. Hard to say since ive killed deer with the following calibers .223, 30-30,30-06, 308 win, 357 mag, and 44 mag. Ive dropped deer in there tracks with all those calibers listed and some had run but not any further then a 100 yards and some only ran 10 yards the only deer I had run more then 300 yards was with a badly placed shot at 175+ yards with my 308 ( My first time deer hunting) even then I still managed to track and find the animal. with my .223 (mini-14) and 357 mag (pistol) I limit my shots to 50- 60 yards my 44 mag and 30-30 ( both carbines) I limit my shots to 150 yards. Both my 308 and 30-06 I killed deer asfar as 400 yards. Any deer can be wounded with any caliber so I will say most deer wounded are from young novice hunters with any caliber and the popular calibers for beginning deer hunters would be the 30-30 or 243. So if you actually broke it down to the caliber then I guess I will say the 30-30 or the 243 have been the calibers used but not responsible for wounding the most deer.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talk about opening up a can of worms!! My guess would be the 30-06 also just because it's used so much...
Old 12-22-2004, 01:03 PM

Im my opinion, it is not the caliber, but the shooter. Alot of guys have said the 30-30 is the most responsible, that may be true, but as I see it a .375 H&H wouldn't kill a deer if you shot it in the foot. A good shooter can make due with what he/she uses. It's been said the greatest rifle/caliber in the world just so happens to be the one that your carrying at the time.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:37 PM

The question is not what cartridge causes lost deer, it's more likely the hunter in question.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Remington model 710 (any chambering) .... the owners admit they only shoot a box a year or so. Can't practice much that way.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:32 PM

Please do not get bent out of shape but from what I see it would have to be the .308 or the 3006 since this is what most semi rifles are chambered for. Every year we get many stories of how deer were lost even though the clip was dumped at the target. I wish some people would how to aim and use trigger control. Next on the list would be buck shot. Truth is nothing is wrong with any of these when used right. Is it a matter of slob hunters or education?
Old 12-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt it would be the .22 rimfire.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:15 PM

IMHO, it is the ppl that wound the deer 99.9% of the time. THEY dont know how to shoot, and havent practiced enough with their
gun and the distance they are planning on taking deer at. Since they dont shoot very well and havent practiced much, when they wound a deer, or lose one, they blame the round they hunt with for not bringing the deer/game down the way they want. IMHO, deer are wounded by ppl who dont know how to shoot, and who dont know their limitations and havent practiced enough. Just about any caliber will bring the bacon home, YOU just have to know how to shoot well with it. I missed 2-3 deer before I got my very first this season. It was all paid off by practice. I use a .243 with Winchester 55-95gr Ballistic Silvertips; thats exactly what I brought my doe down with this season. 1 shot was all it took; she dropped where she stood. If I didnt know how to shoot, she would have probably been wounded, but I practiced. So, to me thats the key. Ppl need to learn how to shoot to stop wounding deer, not get a "Better Caliber".
Old 12-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that most wounded deer are a result of poor hits. However there are some calibers that kill better than others.

Quick Reply: Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.