HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-58/)
-   -   Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/83487-federal-laws-regarding-gun-purchases-online.html)

Justin 12-21-2004 01:19 PM

Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online

HuntingNet.com makes no guarantee that any seller or Classified Ad in our Forums is legitimate. It is the buyer's responsibility to check references and/or verify that the seller and item actually exist and that the item will be sent. Please visit our Feedback Forum for more information on buyers and sellers who frequent these Forums. HuntingNet.com assumes no responsibilty for transactions that are arranged through our Forums.

Furthermore, ALL firearms must be shipped to a dealer who has an FFL (Federal Firearms License) in the state of the buyer. The buyer can then pick up the gun from the FFL dealer once the proper waiting periods and background checks have been performed. We suggest that before you post any gun for sale that you contact a local FFL dealer and reach an agreement with them on shipping and receiving all firearms purchased through these Forums. Many FFL dealers will charge a fee for these transactions, normally in the range of $20-$50 per transaction. Pre-1897 antique firearms and replica arms of the non-cartridge variety are the only exception. NEVER SHIP A GUN MADE AFTER 1897 THAT FIRES CARTRIDGES TO A BUYER'S HOUSE. ONLY SHIP TO THE ADDRESS ON THE SIGNED IN INK FFL YOU HAVE IN YOUR HAND (NO FAXES).

We thank you for using the HuntingNet.com Hunting Classifieds and wish you all good luck.

-The HuntingNet.com Staff

farmcntry 12-30-2004 05:25 PM

RE: Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online

Another good hint I give out my FFL shop's phone number to the seller, via their permission, just to further validate the purchase.
That way the FFL guy can give the seller all the info he needs.
And they only charge me $25.00 per transaction.

bigbulls 12-19-2005 09:14 PM

ONLY SHIP TO THE ADDRESS ON THE SIGNED IN INK FFL YOU HAVE IN YOUR HAND (NO FAXES).
Just want to post an update to this.

Since this was posted the laws have changes slightly. A faxed copy of the signed FFL is now legal for purchases being shipped to your local dealer. YOu no longer have to get a signed in ink copy and mail it to the seller. Your local dealer where you will pick up the gun and fill out the paper work can now fax a copy of his signed FFL to the seller and the seller can legally ship the firearm to your dealer.

SILVERTIP-CO 06-28-2007 11:02 PM

Thanks for the good info. As a former long time dealer its good to see the rules are similar.

dmitchell28 10-18-2007 07:26 AM

I know this is a stupid queston, but this is for first timers. What exactly is a FFL???

RugerMike 10-18-2007 07:59 AM

Federal Firearms License
The right to sell and transfer gun ownership as a dealer.

gowkout 11-05-2007 04:48 PM

What if you sell a firearm? Do you have to ship via a ffl to a ffl if you are a private citizen??

ranger56528 11-05-2007 05:15 PM

Look at it this way.
If you just sell a gun out right and do not change ownershipof it and its used in a crime its comming back to you and that would not be a good thing on your part...
FFL dealers only charge a small fee and its cheeper then a day in court.....So its allways in your best intrest to go thru a FFL dealer......

NWBuckeye 11-30-2007 08:58 PM

Faxes and Signed E-mailed Copies are exceptable.

Thank you. Hall's Firearms

xbowhunter17268 01-06-2008 10:54 PM

RE: Faxes and Signed E-mailed Copies are exceptable.

i have a question regarding gun shipments...

why doesit state that all guns must be shipped through a FFL?

is this just a policy here at this site?

its my understanding that as long as it is being sold to someone of your own state that no FFL is needed.

in fact...according to the Federal - ATF guidelines as long as it is an in-state transaction that long guns can even be shipped through the United States Postal Service, i know people who have on many many occasions and still do so all the time.

please understand that i am not trying to make a stink or mis-inform anyone, i amonly trying to find out the facts...before attempting to sell a gun on this site.

thanks, Willy :)