Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
 Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online >

Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online

Community
Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online

Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunt91
maybe i missed something... can someone explain to me plainly why i would have to go through a ffl? is it so the government knows where my guns r going or what guns r comeing to me? (like they need to know anymore than they already do...)
Here is my latest example. I purchased a Marlin 336RC .35 caliber lever action rifle. I bought it from the owner which lives out of state. He shipped it directly to me with no FFL here in FL.

Joe
Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 AM
Spike

Lol.....................
Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is my latest example. I purchased a Marlin 336RC .35 caliber lever action rifle. I bought it from the owner which lives out of state. He shipped it directly to me with no FFL here in FL.

Joe
Assuming that you and the seller actually did this you are incredibly stupid to post it on the internet unless you like our federal prisons.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default Your stupidity.

Originally Posted by Bee Busy Outdoors

Joe
That is completely illegal if there isn't an FFL holder in your house! Just cause you did it doesn't make it legal. You very well may get a knock on your door by men in suits, and that is if you are lucky. Maybe you'll get a flash bang and your door will be knocked in. If that happens I suggest yelling I give up and hitting the deck.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Spike

Do the laws hold through for trading guns state to state? Does anyone for sure.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jeepdude1987
Do the laws hold through for trading guns state to state? Does anyone for sure.
It is very simple... If the gun crosses state lines then the RECEIVER (person receiving the firearm from the shipper) OF THE FIREARM MUST BE AN 01 FFL at a minimum (03 FFL if the firearm is classified as a Curio & Relic). The Federal Gov't has this power under the interstate commerce clause of the US Constitution.

In the case of handguns the USPS will not and cannot legally ship them. They must go UPS or FEDEX and at least in Michigan must go 01 FFL (in state) to 01 FFL (purchasers state).

If you ship intrastate in Michigan long guns can go from your door to the new owner... Handguns must either be FTF or FFL to FFL as there is paperwork to be filled out with every handgun transfer.

Long gun shipping is very simple, cut and dried. Handgun shipping becomes more cumbersome because of varying handgun laws within the various states. Some much more strict than others.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Spike

Default How about muzzle loaders? To answer the other guys question

Can Black powder guns or muzzle loaders be shipped. You can buy them from cabela's or anyplace through shipping? Could a person send the barrel and then the rest of the gun as gun parts person to person
Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

BP guns do not need to go to a FFL dealer unless it is capable of being turned into a center fire like the TC encore.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Spike

Default Muzzle loaders appy to the same rules?????

Do all those laws apply to muzzzle loaders and can you take them apart and ship as gun parts in two seperate packages. You can order them through catalogs.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Spike

I have always wondered how that applies to muzzle loaders. I just ordered a CVA from Cabela's and nothing required other than my signiture. How differet is it selling from one individual to another. I know there are a couple states it isn't allowed.

Quick Reply: Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.