Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
 Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online >

Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online

Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online

Old 01-18-2008, 02:21 AM

Default RE: Faxes and Signed E-mailed Copies are exceptable.

The laws on trasnferring firearms vary by state. Now shipping them from one state to another I am sure what is posted above is correct. Just wanted to throw out there though, in Tennessee, all that is needed to sell a firearm is a Bill of sale from person A to person B with name address, serial number and sale price signed by both. JUST FYI

Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 AM

its amazing that not one personhas taken the timeto clarify this matter for me, seems strange that this site wouuldn't want its members who intend to sell guns here to know the facts before doing so.

nothing like having to wait forever and not get an answer to such an important question.

i supposeeveryoneshould just fend for themself around here, pretty pathetic consideringi wasjust wanting to be sure i would be doing things within the law.

sorry JM2C considering i recieved nothing at all on the subject, Willy - AKA- xbowhunter17268
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So if I sell a gun do I ship to the buyers local FFl dealer or does my local FFl delaer ship it to the buyers local FFl dealer?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 PM

All I can say is what I have experienced here in south arkansas...

The law states that an individual can ship ( with a signed copy of the receiving dealers FFL ) to a gun dealer or a FFL holding gun smith address only. The individual does not have to ship from a FFL holding dealer.

Now with that said......

The local BATF agents where you would do business, can and do impose extra restrictions on the dealers to insure proper paper trails. Here locally, every gun I have purchased from individuals online here, or at gunbroker.com, had to come from a FFL holder to a FFL holder. The stores say that the local agent has told them that this is what he expects, so that the paperwork is complete. Because of this, no dealer here will accept guns from non FFL holding individuals. I can gripe that this isn't the law, and I can get mad, but it does no good. Fact is, that if the gun is not sent from a FFL to the local FFL, the shops will not facillitate the sale and I will not get my gun.

So there are laws in place, but there may be further local restrictions that each individual is responsible for knowing BEFORE you buy or sell a gun online in state or state to state.

To be sure, you need to check with one or more of your local dealers to get the facts. It is ultimately your responsibility, since guidelines followed are not uniform across the country. Again, it is your responsibility to know, prior to the sale or purchase.

And in case you are wondering..... yes, I used to be a Federally licensed Firearms dealer.

God Bless

Michael
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 AM

This is my first day here ........ Hi everyone.

I can tell you that in Michigan long guns can be shipped from buyer to seller without either person requiring CPL/FFL license - as long as each person is a full time resident living within the state, the shipping remains within the state, the buyer is over 18 years old and can legally purchase a firearm. USPS will ship long guns and recommends no indication of a firearm within the container be posted, but will not ship ammo or gunpowder. A contract carrier (such as UPS or FEDEX) will ship handguns from FFL to FFL and will ground ship ammo and powder with a small Hazmat fee included. Following ATF guidelines, long gun sales/transfer within Michigan must also meet Michigans rules and regulations on items such as barrel lengths, overall lengths, etc.

On a side note, some sellers still avoid direct person to person mail transfer even though the ATF and State gun laws allow it. I believe this is because they feel a bit more secure that the sale is going to a legal gun owner by going through an FFL - which removes any future legal repercussions from the seller and the buyer normally pays for any additional FFL fee.

Brian
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Do Muzzleloaders fall under that same restriction? I heard that they are exempt and can be shipped person to person.....Any body help me out here
?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

maybe i missed something... can someone explain to me plainly why i would have to go through a ffl? is it so the government knows where my guns r going or what guns r comeing to me? (like they need to know anymore than they already do...)
Old 05-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

I live in FL. I have purchased AK47s from PA, WI and OR from private owners. My FFL faxed to the private owner the FFL. The private owner then went to UPS (ground) with the faxed copy and mailed the gun to my FFL. I filled out paper work at my FFL for the standard background check and picked up my AK47 5 days later. My FFL charged me $25.00 for the paperwork. Simple.........................

On one of those transactions, my FFL emailed it to the private owner.......
Old 07-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Spike

Default Getting Paid when selling a firearm online

I plan on selling a rifle on line and would like to ship it from myself (I don't have an FFL) to a FFL near the purchaser and in their state. How can you "guarantee" that you get paid? How do they usually pay you (Check, post office money order)? Do I ship before I get paid?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jkrajcovic
I plan on selling a rifle on line and would like to ship it from myself (I don't have an FFL) to a FFL near the purchaser and in their state. How can you "guarantee" that you get paid? How do they usually pay you (Check, post office money order)? Do I ship before I get paid?
Always get paid before you ship and make sure the check or MO clears the bank first. The FFL that it is going to will fax you the FFL. With that in hand, you can ship it UPS ground to the FFL.

Joe

Quick Reply: Federal Laws regarding gun purchases online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.