HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Which Barrel Fouling Remover? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/83413-barrel-fouling-remover.html)

Criggster 12-20-2004 08:12 PM

Which Barrel Fouling Remover?

Which centerfire rifle cleaner do you use to get out fouling inside the barrel? I usually just clean with Hoppes solvent and swab the barrel, but want something that will cut through the copper and powder crud.

stubblejumper 12-20-2004 08:32 PM

RE: Which Barrel Fouling Remover?

Sweets 7.62 will remove all fouling including copper and barnes cr-10 is one of the best copper solvents.Hoppes #9 is pretty much useless at removing copper fouling.

jmfa1957 12-20-2004 09:19 PM

Shooter's Choice copper remover is pretty good stuff also. If you use any copper solvent, be sure not to let it sit in the bore too long. Follow the directions carefully, as some of this stuff will attack your barrell if you leave it in too long.

I like Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber. It removes both nitro and copper fouling and is reasonably inexpensive. It claims to have a rust inhibitor in it also.

Regardless, I always chase the bore with Hoppe's No. 9 and then an oil soaked patch.

driftrider 12-20-2004 11:26 PM

I, too, use Bore Scrubber with what seems to be decent results, but I've heard enough great things about Barnes CR-10 that I'm going to pick up a bottle and see just how clean my bores are. I keep hearing from people that they have run patches with CR-10 down bores that showed clean with other copper solvents that would come out bright blue.

Mike

Mark whiz 12-21-2004 06:55 AM

Barnes CR-10 and Sweets 7.62 are both top notch copper removers. Just make sure you use plastic brushes and jags with them because they will attack brass just like they do copper, so you'll get false readings of "blue" patches from the brush/jag.
For powder fouling, I've been using MPro7 (same as the new Hoppes Elite cleaner) for a couple years now & I REALLY like how it works. It'll take out everything BUT copper in fairly short order and it doesn't smell like someone's underarms. [:'(] I'll clean the bore with it and then go after the copper with CR-10 or Sweets. After patching that out, I'll run a couple more patches of Mpro to verify cleanliness (and to neutralize any of the ammonia in the copper cleaner), patch dry and apply oil (currently using FP-10). MPro WILL take all the oils out of the metal, so you have to oil well following it's use.

oldelkhunter 12-21-2004 07:51 AM

I like Wipeout a lot. I used to use Shooters Choice and Shooters Choice Copper Cleaner but pretty much clean the gun with a brush and shooters choice. Dry it out with patches and then put in Wipeout from the breech end and let it sit for an hour. It should remove Copper at that time. If the Patch is real dark blue put Wipeout in again for another hour.

skeeter 7MM 12-21-2004 02:53 PM

I have had excellent results from Sweets 7.62 or Shooters choice for lead/powder and CR 10 for Copper.

Criggster 12-21-2004 05:20 PM

Are any of these foaming cleaners? I saw one on a commercial that foamed inside of the barrel.

Sniper151 12-21-2004 05:57 PM

I like the Tetra Guns Copper Solvent. This stuff cleans lead, copper and powder residue with one application. No scrubbing involved.;)

oldelkhunter 12-22-2004 06:13 AM

Wipeout is a foaming bore cleaner