HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   need help convincing the wife (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/83169-need-help-convincing-wife.html)

RavKX250 12-19-2004 03:40 AM

need help convincing the wife

i talked it over with the wife and we decided this spring i would buy a new deer rifle. well yesterday i was at a sporting good's store where my wife work's and was looking at the browning bar's. what a gun. so i'm talking to the guy behind the counter and i tell him i'll be back in a few month's and he say's you should see this. it was a used browning longtrac bar .270 that looked like it was never even fired and they were selling it for $515.00, so i told him my wife work's there and he said it would be about $412.00 with her discount. i almost bought it before the wife could say "NOT TILL SPRING". i just don't want to pass up a chance to by an 800.00 rifle for almost half price.
the only marks on the gun are where the scope base was. the inside of the reciever is not even showing any paint wear from the action moving.
any help will be greatly appreciated. Rav

ktscontender 12-19-2004 05:14 AM

RE: need help convincing the wife

I find I'd rather deal with a pissed off wife than regret losing a deal.

I dont buy a bunch of guns but I usually find at least one good deal a year and I don't waste time discussing it with the wife. Gotta grab the opportunities as they come.

Good Luck

Wolf killer 12-19-2004 09:12 AM

That is a heck of a buy. Wonder why they traded the rifle in? Will the shop let you bring it back for a full refund if it will not group?

driftrider 12-19-2004 10:52 AM

$413 for a BAR LT .270Win and it's not in your safe yet? She's got you whipped pretty good! :D;) Where did you say this gun was?

Seriously though, I'd buy it while you can, because at that price it'll disappear faster than a pizza at a weight watchers convention. Buy now, explain later.

When you explain it to her put it in terms a woman will understand. Use phrases like, "It was a doorbuster sale," "one time only closeout price," etc.... If you need study material, go grab a newspaper and pull out the ads from the local departments stores, they're full of catchy phrases that women understand. Use her own shopper instinct against her. And if that fails and you have to play dirty, remind her that the last time she spent a couple hundred dollars on "shoes and accessories" you didn't tell her she'd have to wait until spring.

As a last resort you could always bribe her with diamonds.

Mike

RavKX250 12-19-2004 07:24 PM

thank's for the replies, i talked her into it and picked it up this evening but i was mistaken it is not the long trac it is a mark II .270. now that i have it home it is in even better condition then i could have imagined. if i knew how i would post a pic of it.

Wolf- i bought the gun at L.L. Bean and my wife works there(20% employee discount on guns). the guy behind the counter said to keep all the paperwork and the box in case i need to bring it back. beans has a pretty good return policy.

icthruu 12-19-2004 08:36 PM

I've been trying to get my wife a job at the local gun shop for 2 years now... Ah the money I would have saved with that 10% employee discount.....

57hornet 12-20-2004 07:43 AM

Glad you got the rifle. Hope it serves you a long time. Your story reminds me of a line I heard recently.

It is easier to beg forgiveness than to gain permission.

Buy your wife something with the money you saved. It will help with your next firearm purchase.

pharaoh2 12-20-2004 08:14 AM

Wow. I thought L.L Bean was a tree-hugger store. I never knew they sold guns.

pharaoh2 12-20-2004 08:15 AM

Speaking of tree hugging...

USMC PMI 12-20-2004 01:57 PM

Way to go! The Modern Gun Values 12th edition says that LMSR is $833, perfect used condition is worth $650, sounds like you got an excellent deal on a nice rifle in a great caliber. Wish I could stumble on deals like that more often. I will agree that it is always better to to beg than to pass on a deal like that.