Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail >

Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Old 12-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

ORIGINAL: driftrider

zrex,

That's an interesting link you provided to some VERY interesting and enlightening analysis on terminal ballistics based on real science, not trumped up pseudo-scientific jibberish.

But I also see that you mentioned much earlier on that you know others who use .224cals with success (the .22 Hornet is what you mentioned I believe), and regularly take head and neck shots, so I suggest that you read the entire article, including the section where your cited author condemns the use of .224cal rifles for deer hunting and even questions the wisdom of using the .243.

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/b...s/methods.html

Scroll down to Section 5 on this page to see what he thinks about this perticular topic.

Mike
I read that, it was one of the first things I read. he dont care much for the .243 as do many here. I love it, never had any problems but then again here in texas our deer rarely get over a 150 lbs, maybe that has something to do with it.
What i couldnt understand is he complains about lack of penetration with the .223 and .243 and small calibers in general, but then shows in his chart 10.5 in. of penetration for the .223 and 13" for the .243. those numbers are comparibale to some of the bigger guns. bullet selection and velocity seem to be a deciding factor on penetration. theres one bullet fired from the .7 mag that only got 9 inches of penetration. Seems the slower the bullet the more penetration. Pretty wierd huh ? but then shows that higher velocity's with a descent bullet leave bigger wound chanels and cavitation. So it's a toss up on what you want to do I guess.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:10 PM

markIIvt
bow hunting wounding is a bunch of nosence if you have
hunters that shoot more than 3 arrows the day before sesone
I have killed many deer with my bow but i practice yr
around to compettive shooting no my limitations
and havent lost one yet
also i bet there is more deer wounded with ppl that think they need
a big mag powerd rifle to kill a deer than with a bow
i mean what did they in 1800 to kill animals and hand made bows
and arrows and they killed up to bisen so
i think bowhunting is wounding is ppl the dontknow the sport
as with anything humans are not perfect u will make a mistake sometime
wether it be a bow or a rocket laucher
your own words show respect for the sport

as for the 204 i dont think it would in the shoulder
but thats my opion

sorry to hear bout the suiside thats sucks

ppl like expermenting why dont someone try to kill a deer
with your kids old bb gun aim for

as for the ppl that think the 243 is minimal GOOD
i want minimal that will humanly kill a deer
no wasted meat
the mag crase whats up with that why dont we gernads
fire shooters save time on looking for both halfs

soory for getting off the subject

happy and save hunting
Old 12-30-2004, 06:28 PM

Good link and like the writer said "When selecting a 22 cal for big game the question is why?" Good question. One problem with the .22 cal and such, even the bigger stuff is that you must have proper bullet construction for the game you are hunting. Most if not all .22 cal ammo is loaded for varmint type stuff, not deer. As a result of this you get bullet blow up, not penitration. Momentum has to be figured into this for good penitration and it aint going to work with a .22 with the powders we have!!!
Look at a 150 grain 3006 for example, for a 55 grain bullet to equal the 06 momentum then all we have to do is get a bullet properly constructed and push it at 9,500 FPS! Not bad huh, but what a wood chuck masher. This info and much more is to be found in the book Understanding Ballistics by Robert A. Rinker, a good read and the math is made simple enough for me so check it out. Well worth the money no matter where you stand on this issue.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:23 PM

I have seen that a lot of you gentelmen have posted their interpiation of Maryland Law on the subject of minimun,s reguarding cal. and other sidewalk lawyer quotes so I just want to add that Maryland Law requires the Rifle use for taking deer in Md has to develop a muzzle energy of 1200 fp and the 304 with the 32 gr. bullet is 1268 and the40 gr. is 13??
Old 01-05-2005, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

The velocity and penetration make sense. The more velocity you have the more expansion you get. The more expansion you get, the less penetration you get. This holds true even more when you are looking and light bullets per caliber. Sectional density is the bullets ability to hold together and continue to penetrat. Add Momentum and you get an idea of why some bullets and or calber size are more effective. With weight comes momentu. Its harder to stop a freight train than honda. When you add velocity and a fast twist rate then you really put pressure on the bullet and at some point or speed the bullet will fail. The less sectional density, the sooner it will fail. Reading on the Corbon site and or other sites talking about even cast bullets. A 45-70 bullet of 400 or so grains will penetrat further when fired at 1700 fps than the same bullet will if fired at 2000 fps. Expansion and the bullets inability to hold a staight path will limit its penetration. Put a heavier bullet in a 375 H&H then slow it down and you get much better penetration. Velocity is important but it has its usefull limits. Bullet construction is important but you have to have momentum. It all works together.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

i personally woulf not use it for deer.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:18 AM
Banned

Default .204 ruger

Originally Posted by frizzellr
No I don't think its big enough for deer just like I don't think the 22 calibers are suited to deer either. Why do some people insist on pushing the envelope at the expense of inhumane kills and wasted animals?
the.22 caliber ammo is not center fire therefore no good, however, the .204 caliber ruger is maybe to powerful bullet for deer hunting. i use the 204 every year.the first deer i shot, I shot right in her chest, between her two legs, head on, and the bullet went in and blew out her eye ball,went through her,and upon exiting out her butt and blew the hair right off her rear end. when we butchered it,the blood in the deer was pushed into all the meat. a 43gr bullet travels 3970 fps.we also shot a 1/4 inch steel rotating target, and the 43gr bullet shot right through it.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

A first time poster comes in, revives a nearly 16 year old thread to:

1) Confuse “22 caliber” with “Rimfire” and neglect the dozens of 22 caliber centerfire cartridges on the market...

2) Exaggerate a fabrication where a 204 Ruger went end for end in a whitetail, AND blew the eye out of its head, nearly 2 feet away from point of entry.

3) Fabricate an tale of a 43 grain 20 cal bullet (the only 43grain bullet offered at all at midway is the 22cal Speer TNT - I’ve never seen a 43grn 20cal in 15 years with the 204 Ruger and 20 Prac).

4) Dramatically exaggerate the potential velocity of said bullet, by about 200-250 fps faster than I have ever been able to push a 40 grain bullet in 204R.

At least the avatar screen name is fitting.

WTF is going on around here lately? Trolls and bots abound, but the same search accessibility doesn’t yield new REAL users?
Old 10-02-2020, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

NO. It's not IMO.

.243win would be my bottom, 80grs TSX type bullet.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since someone decided to revive a thread that was started when G. Bush II was still president, I'll chime in.

A 70gr 5.56mm Barnes TSX will kill a whitetail dead as hell. I've also had Speer tech department tell me that they feel their 75gr gold dot is perfectly fine for deer as long as the impact energy is 1000fpe +

YMMV

Quick Reply: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.