Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail >

Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Old 12-17-2004, 05:16 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Those guys from the Shore sportmans, if thats who you are talking too are pretty full of it. I am sure somebody over there did take a deer with a head shot. As they are all farmers over there and wish there was no such thing as whitetails.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol, i gotta at least get a funny remark in on this one since its such a hot topic. You know, its funny, i guess i am just the opposite (or at least my friends tell me I am) in the fact that, my only real debates about calibers is "Is it too big"? I was surfing the Winchester web site the other day, and caught myself staring at the "Safari" grade guns wondering,"I wonder if a 458 would be too big for whitetail?" So, I guess there are debateable calibers on both ends of the spectrum, and a whole lotta choices in the middle. Lets be reasonable, and TRY to realize what these guns were designed for. I cant imagine, a situation where a person (financially) would look at a .204 and think "Wow if I buy this gun, I wont have to buy anything else!" If you want a multi use gun, try the 25-06 or 270, both can be used for varmits, and can be used for bigger than varmit sized game. This opinion, was not directed at Drhunter or any other member here, just whomever actually thought about or did use it for deer.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well a 22 mag is used to slaughter beef and buffalo so I suspect a 204 in the right spot of the head would also get it done...however the margin of error at feet is not really a factor of lets say 50-100 yards on a wild animal with either 20 or 22 cal. An old trapper claimed to harvest all his moose and elk with one well placed 22LR right behind the ear the distance couldn't be more than 30 yards to him but no one could tell him he was unethical or insane (which he was both IMPO).

For the sake of the question asked no I don't think a 20 or 22 cal is a suitable Deer caliber. I know many will claim that they work fine with the right placement, etc but that is not my opinion.

Ethics are personal guys I too try to push my beliefs when I hear or see something I don't quite agree with but it is like blow smoke up a monkey's arse...always end up with the stinky end but you must do what you feel compelled to do!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, maybe one day you can join a sewing circle and keep an eye out on people on your front porch and just go around telling the way it is according to driftrider.
And you think I'm the one who's getting testy, LOL. There's a word for doing what you tell others not to do. Can you guess what it is? I told you that I wasn't being personal, and then you went and made it personal. You don't take criticism against your world according to bigcountry very well. Got your panties in a bunch over a comment that was mearly a criticism to your position and turned around and went personal. There's a word for that, too. It's "immature."

So relax, take a deep breath, and lets just agree to disagree.

Peace.

Mike
Old 12-18-2004, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just asking if he had shot one with a 204 BC. Do I thinkyou can kill a deer with a 204 definitely yes. Would I recommend it absolutely no.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:19 AM

The answer is purple.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why not use a 22 short? I wouldnt recommend on thats for sure!!! It will kill them but results may vary greatly and inhumane results might be more so the rule than not.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

It might take a deer but it would not be legal in the states where I hunt. 22 caliber minimum. However a 22 rimfire will kill deer so I quess the 204 would as well.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:27 PM
bigcountry

word for doing what you tell others
Yes, there is a word. Its called comedy. Trying to make light out of a situation. Or let others know in a funny way that they need to have that stick surgically removed and read the FREAKING QUESTION. I mean come on guys, none of us on here are curing cancer. And if you really think you are changing the world by policing others, you are pretty full of yourself. If thats immature, I will be immature my whole life. Won't bother me a bit. I take it as a compliment, since most people that work for me or my family consider me too serious, and acting like a old man as a young age in my mid 30's. I mean I got uncles 70 years old that bust peoples chops 10X worse than I do. You may be right, my world is help people by answering the question at hand, and if you want to go on about ethics according to driftrider, go to the the hunting forum and start your own post ranting and raving and policing. And just answer the quesiton about a gun's performance in the gun forum. If you did that, I guarntee you wouldn't hear a peep from me suggesting you are a busybody.

And about the sewing circle. Well, if you can't take a joke, you know how it goes.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW wEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I am sure glad the smallest gun I have ever owned is a .270. Of course for some this is still two small for anything but varmits![&:] I would like to own a 22-250 for varmits and target practice. Being serious I would never use it for any deer! My brother in law went on a mule deer doe hunt this last november with two of his friends. They both brought along hi powered 22's, a 223 and a 22-250. My brother in law was shooting his .300 WM still dialed in from elk season. I told him that I would try to convince his friends to use a bigger caliber for the hunt. Especially because a mule deer doe can be a big bodied animal, and their furr in late season is thicker. But he didn't want to hurt their feelings, and if they wounded any deer that he would try to put it down in a hurry and that was Ok with them. BTW they both owned bigger guns, they just wanted to try to shoot thier doe's with the 22's. My point to all of this is more people try and do hunt with the 22's more than we think, and I too believe that they wound a lot of deer in the process. Not trying to add to the war already here, so if I offended anyone I am sorry.

Quick Reply: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.