HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/82979-ruger-204-big-enough-whitetail.html)

bigcountry 12-17-2004 12:32 PM

RE: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

First hand experience?

Oldelk, I have seen a 22hornet take down deer with neck and head shots so a 204 shouldn't be a big streatch. Not by my hands. Honest to goodness. But its known to alot of my yahoo family to be a poachers gun. Unfortunately.

BareBack Jack 12-17-2004 01:00 PM

Whats the diff between my 22-250 and .220 swift for shooting deer.As for neck and head shots it would work fine even with your varmit type bullets, shots under 100 yds.
It might be the best tool for the job,and there are plenty of other options out there.You are just going to have to ask your self are you ready to give up the buck of a lifetime cause you have a tool in your hands that might not get the job done.

I have seen first hand what a 22 WMR can do at 50-75 yd head shots on deer and it kills them dead.

oldelkhunter 12-17-2004 01:13 PM

Evidently he already has tried using it on deer unless I am mistaken.

driftrider 12-17-2004 01:41 PM

NO, darnit! It's not just telling others what they should or should not do, it's about policing our own so the government, at the behest of the anti-gun anti-hunting organizations, won't do it for us.

He asked if the 204 Ruger will kill a deer with a shoulder shot. I'd say possibly, but not likely. That little 20cal bullet is lucky to make it through a coyote, let alone through a deer's shoulder.

And while he did not ask about the ethics of shooting deer with a 204 directly, he didn't ask the question for any other reason than he, or someone he knows, is contemplating doing just that which opens the door to a discusstion on not only if it will kill a deer, but if it's ethical to use it for that purpose. I've always been an opponent of using the .224cal centerfires for deer, and I certainly oppose using even less gun for the task. I've said it before many time, and I'll continue to say it as long as the topic of going intentionally undergunned keeps coming up again and again. Just because a perticlular cartridge CAN kill a deer, doesn't mean that it's ethically suited to deer hunting. I don't give a crap about all the anecdotal "evidence" that <.22cal CF's kill deer, it still doesn't make it ethical. Because for every story saying how fast somebodys brother/uncle/second cousin kills deer with their .223Rem, there are probably a dozen stories that never get told about wounded deer that have never been found. Unfortunately we rarily hear about these because those who visciously wound deer but fail to recover them for no other reason than choosing an underpowered rifle are too embarrassed and ashamed to admit it to their peers.

My opinion is this...while a .204 Ruger CAN kill a deer (as can a .22LR), it's absolutely NOT ethical and sportsmanlike to do so. The .204 Ruger was NOT designed to be a big game cartridge, period. If you want to hunt deer, go buy at least a .243 Win. If you can't afford a .243 and still want to hunt deer, trade in the .204. Just because the .204 is the only gun you have doesn't excuse you from the questionable ethics of using it. Because every deer that's wounded by a hunter feeds the fires of those who want to ban hunting by lending creedance to their argument that hunters and hunting is cruel. We owe it to the ourselves, our fellow sportsmen, and the animals we hunt to use tools capable of humanely taking our game even when the conditions of the shot aren't perfect.

Mike

bigcountry 12-17-2004 01:51 PM

Easy, don't get testing with me IA boy. You jumping on the wrong horse. I don't know why he asked. I ain't clairvoyant like the rest of you fellers. I have had simular discussions about will a field point kill a deer. A bunch of conversations. I had no intentions of trying and am not so mighty, to tell someone they shouldn't. Its thier deer, not mine. I don't think they ever tried. Just BS'ing. I learn something all the time from young shooters, old shooters.

Go ahead and police if you feel the need. I know my voice ain't making a dent in this little forum. But if it makes you sleep better at night. I know nobody is going to police me.

driftrider 12-17-2004 02:15 PM

I'm not about to apoligize for stating my beliefs and my lack of apathy on this subject. I'm not the type of person to sit back and casually watch as others damage the good name of ethical hunters by doing unethical things, or worse yet endorse unethical conduct. If he is considering using a 204 for deer, then I feel that I would be irresponsible if I didn't at least try to steer him away from it.

As for you taking my statement as a personal attack on you, it was not meant that way. I WAS attacking your position, not your person. It's unfortunate that you apparently fail to recognise this distinction.

Mike

bigcountry 12-17-2004 02:47 PM

Well, maybe one day you can join a sewing circle and keep an eye out on people on your front porch and just go around telling the way it is according to driftrider.

Drhuner 12-17-2004 03:35 PM

You were right it was a Quote ( but not from me ) it was from a owner of a gunshop who told me of a friend or coustomer of his that had taken a deer with one shot to the Head the rest he added, I agree with you that is why I was asking!!!!!!!

Drhuner 12-17-2004 03:37 PM

Oldelkhunter Yes you are Mistaken

Drhuner 12-17-2004 04:18 PM

My thanks to bigcountry he is right, I got the persay Quote from a gun shop worker - owner? who told me of a guy -customer he knows that had taken a deer with a head shot ( I think he added the rest ) so I came here to get some responsable opinions from what I thought may have been a good sorce with knowageble Hunters and all I seem to get is a bunch of Bull Chips from most of you, although I do appreciate the straight out No's ( of which I agree with.
The main reason that I was asking is that I started hunting in Maryland about 20 years ago with a 25-06 which everyone then was to believe was a VARMIT round since then I have taken probaly 25 deer with it and have yet to see one going more than 30 yds, when most drop in their tracks, since I have done this most of the members of the club that I am in now have 25-06's.
I will surly think out my questions before I ask them here again.

Here is a Quote for you clairvoints ( Dont judge unless you are a JUDGE!!!!!!! )