Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which .243 ? >

Which .243 ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which .243 ?

Old 12-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which .243 ?

I would go for a T/C. I have a Rem. 700 VLS in .243 but it just too heavy to tote around. Its really a bench gun. But it is awsome. I'm looking into a T/C though i think thats gonna be my next rifle. Probably start off with it in 22 hornet then get the .243 barrell.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Winchester Featherweight in .243 and like it very well. I think I bought mine because I found it more attractive than the Remington. I have taken a pronghorn antelope and a whitetail deer with it since I purchased it in 2003. Of course, I'm not saying that the Remington wouldn't be just as good a shooter or better.

I also have a .25-06 (not a Winchester, a custom built rifle based on a Springfield action with a medium weight barrel), however, and like it better for both deer and pronghorn. I bought the .243 so my son could use it while I used my .25-06, but my son prefers the .25-06 because it kicks him less (my .25-06 is a substantially heavier rifle and it has a recoil pad while the .243 has just a thin butt plate with no give that I can discern) so I end up shooting the .243! It is light and pretty and gets the job done.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:05 AM

I have a .243 in the Remington 700 BDL. Remington barrels are heavier than most other brands and in the smaller calibers that extra girth really helps out. I adjusted my trigger and almost every load I've worked up shoots 3/4-1 inch. A few even better than that. But the featherweight is delightful just to hold..soooo it's up to you.

Hold both rifles and see which feels the best. I'm partial to closed grips like found on Browning and Remington's. You just have to figure out what you like both perform admirably.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:39 PM

get the one YOU feel most comfortable w/ when you're holding it.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:00 AM

I had a featherlite, it was a good looking gun. It shot very good groups. However, I had no need for a light rifle so I sold it. I have a 700 BDL and a Savage 16 in .243. Other than apperance I would take the savage anyday. It is ugly but boy is it a shooter. The amazing thing is it shots all ammo very well. My Remington, in a varmint bullet, will only shot good groups with Win 55 Gr ballistic silvertips. All other ammo will not shot that well. Also I saved almost 300 Bucks with the Savage. I would always buy a Savage and spend the extra 300 on the scope. Just my theory. All the guns mentioned are good guns that should last a life time. Buy the one you like.