Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 how is that possible? >

how is that possible?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how is that possible?

Old 12-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how is that possible?

It's very possible in Iowa to easily kill 80+ deer in a lifetime. The way it works now is that we can draw 2 anysex tags, one for gun and one for bow, plus as many doe tags as you're willing to pay for up to the quota in each county. Any Sex tags cost $26, so does the first doe tag. Each antlerless tag after the first costs $7 apiece. This is not to mention that during the 2 shotgun seasons party hunting is legal, meaning that a hunter in a group can shoot multiple deer as long as the party has enough tags to tag each deer shot. I've never party hunted (or wanted to for that matter), but my dad used to every year before he started muzzleloading. Some years if he were sitting at the right spot during a drive he's shoot 5-6 deer in just a few minutes.

The real factor is having enough time and money to hunt enough to fill that many tags. I have a hard time with my current job getting two days off in a row or more than one day a week most of the time, and during the 9 days of early muzzleloader season this year I had exactly one day off. If I get a little time in January I might get a doe tag and hunt the special late season if I have time.

There is a career and location change (moving to Colorado to learn gunsmithing) in my near future so maybe then I'll be able to get out in the field more often. I can only hope.

Mike
Old 12-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Alabama. You can kill a buck and a doe a day here starting the first day of bowseason Oct 15th. Bow season is joined by gun season Nov 20th and both continue until the end of Jan. A total of 109 hunting days. At two deer per day thats a possible 218 deer you could kill in one season here. Of course no one can hunt every day and even if you could hunt every day the average person only has so much freezer space for meat. Most people fill their freezer and then spend the latter half of the season passing shots on does and smaller bucks waiting for a mature trophy buck. But heck just 4 deer a year gets you to 80 in 20 years of hunting. I myself have hunted for over 30 years and have easily passed that number. I wish I knew exactly how many I have killed.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:18 PM

Yeah Todd I live in Alabama too and it is very possible. In fact I am very thankful for such a great state in which to hunt ( not that i wouldnt love to hunt up in the northern states where they kill those horses called whitetails), but it is a great state to introduce a youngster or new person to hunting. I have a friend that had some property in Dallas County and had a HUGE doe problem. The state issued him over 80 tags to fill (before we had the two deer a day law) and between him and four others they easily filled them in a season. In some parts of the state they are a nusance.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:23 PM

sox its simply a "southern thang". What we lack in size (compared to some of you yank staters) we make up for in numbers. Here in my section of western TN we can shoot 3 does per day each day of our firearms season. The season is appx 45 days so it adds up quickly. Thats not counting the dozen plus we can take with other arms like bows and muzzleloaders. Plus many like myself, travel out of state.

Conservatively I have killed nearly 200 deer in my 20 years of chasing em. I would say that appx 25% of that figure was bucks (many killed while I was younger and shot the first thing that came along, now my typical minimum is 150inches) so the rest are does for mgmt which despite our best efforts, are STILL growing yearly.

I'm "da deercommander"... whack em all jack!
RA
Old 12-14-2004, 07:29 PM

In illinois we can take 2 antlered deer/year. But we can kill as many does as we want. We just have to buy the tags. You can get 2 for shotgun, 2 for muzzleloader, 1 for handgun, and as many for bow as you want.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

that makes sence
Old 12-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother-in-law lives in Alabama and says they can take two a day and it would be possible to get 140 deer in a season . Then he tells me about his neighbor being arrested for poaching . Using a rifle in archery season . They had to be some kind of Idiot in my book .
Old 12-16-2004, 06:56 PM

In Michigan certain counties sell over the counter doe tags, and you can buy one per county per day. And they go on sale well before season. I don't think I would be shooting 80 deer though..
Old 12-17-2004, 12:33 PM

in ohio we can get crop damage permits so you can kill as many deer you want because they eat your crops
Old 12-17-2004, 01:49 PM

Even in Maine, with the expanded archery zones/season and bonus any deer permits, you could realistically kill a couple/several deer per year.