Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Who hunts with a 300 win mag? >

Who hunts with a 300 win mag?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who hunts with a 300 win mag?

Old 12-14-2004, 10:58 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Who hunts with a 300 win mag?

They can go ahead and grind alot that junk meat. But when you see my burger I ground, and bologna I make, you don't see a spec of white in it. You don't feel like you just chewed a candle after eating my stroganoff, or spegetti. The only time I have taken my deer to a butcher was when I had a emergency and had to leave on a flight that night. That was the biggest waste of 55 dollars i ever spent. I would love to find a butcher that would take the time to cut out all the grissle, fat and blueskin from the meat. I understand however its too time consuming, but if you watch these butchers while checking in your deer and see what they throw into your ground, you might be sick. If it has red on it, it gets ground is thier motto. Now, I admit, it took me last week 7 hours from start to finish to butcher two deer. Thats grounding, vacuum packing, slicing and trimming. It takes a butcher 90 min for one.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 AM

BC Easy fella, I'm not being hostile here. By tough stuff I mean the neck roast and meat from the lower legs, not grissle. I wouldn't touch a deer for $55, no wonder they produce such a poor product. I know there are some real crooks out there and in most cases you are better off processing your own meat.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:58 AM
bigcountry

Oh no, I wasn't directing that towards you by no means. Where do you butcher? There is this place in Carroll County called Sam's which is the worst I have seen. It is time consuming, no doubt for a good job. And nope, I wouldn't do the quality of work I do for 55 either.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:10 PM

Whew, thanks. I am in Cecil county but stay under the table. There are two of us that butcher, we serve well known local folks and family. Actually we started out by getting the equipment for ourselves because we were tired of overpaying for poor service. Then to pay for the equipment, well you know the story from there.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

One thing I need and am missing is a thin slicer. I love steakums cooked in butter. Do you guys do that?

Old 12-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a 300-win mag. I have killed elk, black bear, whitetail, mule deer & antelope with mine. The 300-win mag is over kill for deer but dead is dead. If I do my part and shoot them in the ribs not the shoulder I do not have excessive meat damage. I shoot 200-grain Nosler Partition or Nosler Accubond bullets. IMHO premium bullets when used on small game (deer or antelope) cause less meat damage than other bullets.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had three 300 magnum rifles. One Weatherby and two 300 Win Mag rifles. I used them for deer at one time. Never will again. This year I will retire my 30-06 for deer duty as well. The 308 Browning that I used this year will be the biggest thing I will ever use agiain. Even that is much more than I need for deer. I will stick to the 25-06 and 6.5x55 mauser. The 25-06 will drop deer out to 400 yards as well as anything and thats a bit far to be shooting at game anyway. Meat dammage is caused by poor hits but less velocity will help when the poor hits happen and they always do. A 100 to 140 grain bullet at 2600-2800 fps will do a great job on deer.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:38 PM

I killed a couple of whitetails this year with a 300 Win Mag. Hit them both behind the shoulder & through the vitals. No meat damage at all. I like the 300 mag because of its slightly better range. I have a good Pachmeyer Decelerator Recoil pad on this rifle and it is comfortable to shoot. I have another 300 mag with no recoil pad and it is brutal on the bench. I would suggest that if you keep it you consider putting a Kick-eez or Limbsaver recoil pad on. I have these on several rifles and they are magic!

Remember - SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT! ! ! ! ! !

Don't trade it off - Master It and Keep it!

Good luck and Merry Christmas,

SD Shooter
Old 12-15-2004, 10:48 AM

wolf killer has a very good point w/ premium bullets, my brother pulled a "TEXAS HEARTSHOT" w/ my 300 winmag one year. In the a$$, hit the femur/pelvis shattered both, up through the body clips the sternum breaking it and three ribs then up into the neck. found the bullet about 3" from the head. the ham was ok and lost little meat. I think there were two factors that saved this 1) I was useing barnesX bullets, ruins meat only right at the wound channel, seen it year in year out on deer. 2) we took the animal STRAIGHT home and boned it out. we aged it in the fridge instead of hanging it. i think that this kept the blood shot from spreading. if you get to it quickly you can remove the bloodshot from the surface and find that the meat under is not damaged yet.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions you all made. I would have responded sooner but i took off south for a couple days for the last week of muzzleloader here in NY. No luck incase your wondering. My 300 win mag is a savage and its all synthetic stock on it. It wieghs only a few pounds and i think thats why i does a number on my shoulder. I can shoot shotguns all day long minus a 10 gauge. My plan for next year is to purchase the right bullets and practice till i feel comfortable with the gun so i can make good shots. Thanks!