Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 700 .300 win mag modifications >

Remington 700 .300 win mag modifications

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 .300 win mag modifications

Old 12-13-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Remington 700 .300 win mag modifications

I recently picked up a Remington 700 ADL in .300 Win Mag for a good price, I was wanting to do some custom work to it, namely rebarreling/stocking it. I've already adjusted the trigger down to 3lbs, wanting to make it kick a bit less and be more accurate at longer ranges. I'm looking into a Leupold Vari X III0 6-14x50 for it.

How much, typically, does this sort of modifications run? If it's any more expensive than say, getting a new Savage 12FVSS, I'll get just trade it in. But if it'll be cheaper/better in the long run, you guys let me know.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:54 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Remington 700 .300 win mag modifications

Ok, here's what I see.

Rebarreling
Krieger sporter contour Chro moly barrel $255
Gunsmithing for this including headspacing, chambering, crowning etc $200 min

Restocking
H-S Precision stock ~$300
Gunsmith fitting for H-S: Not much, just minor fitting $50
McMillian stock ~$350
Gunsmith fitting for McM: More, got to fit and glass at least $90
Boyd ~100 or less
Gunsmith fitting for Boyd: Maybe extensive depending on model. More for pillar bedding and inleting and finishing: ~$200

So bottom line, you could get a new gun.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:13 PM

Default RE: Remington 700 .300 win mag modifications

Have you tried several different types of ammo/bullet combinations to see how the factory barrel groups? Or handloads (if you handload)? You might be surprised! If the gun will group 2-3 brands/bullets within 1"MOA (if that is what you are after), I don't see the need for a new barrel. I replace all my factory stocks with HS Precision, and it has improved the accuracy of every rifle (stocks result in the barrel being free-floating and have both pillar bedding and full-length aluminum bedding for stability. You might consider starting with a stock replacement (since you have already adjusted the trigger). If the groups improve, all you need to do is remove the factory sights, fill the screw holes with filler-screws to improve the lines, and go hunting.