Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 the most accurate cartridge >

the most accurate cartridge

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

the most accurate cartridge

Old 12-11-2004, 04:00 PM

Default the most accurate cartridge

from my understanding the .308win is perhaps the most accurate centerfire cartridge out there. this is assuming all other variables are equal. but if someone, say me, wants a little more umph, what would be the second most accurate with a little more firepower. i know this is open to a lot of subjectivity, but lets here what you have to say.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:17 PM

Default RE: the most accurate cartridge

very correct, this is a subject of controversy. Wanting the accuracy of the 308 with more power is a tough one. I have one suggestion if your up for a challenge. Try a .308 Norma Magnum. This rifle has ALOT of umph...more than the 308 win ever thought about. Accuracy comes along with it as well. This will be a project unless you buy one already done and if done right it will be a highly accurate hunting rifle with lots of velocity and kinetic energy.
I have one of these so if you want more info on the caliber let me know
Blayne
Old 12-11-2004, 04:36 PM

Snipers, we can probably agree, know a little about accuracy.

Their favorites seem to be the .308 Win; 300WSM, and the .338 Lapua...the .338 is more than you need for anything in North America(and it aint cheap to shoot)
Old 12-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The cartridge is far less of a factor than the quality of the rifle and proper load development for that rifle.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:55 PM

I tend to support the .30 caliber as being intrinsically accurate. The military has used it for many years, both by snipers in combat and for competition. I have two 308 Win's that will shoot a 5 shot single ragged hole at 100, and will consistently shoot under 2 inches at 200. I also have a 300 Win mag that will do the same if not better. I also have a 223 that will do the same thing.

However, the subject of accuracy must take in many details: action, barrel, stock, sighting system, proper assembly, and load development. But the most important part of the equation is the skill of the operator.

This is always a fun topic. Let's keep it going.

SD Shooter
Old 12-11-2004, 07:07 PM

The chambering currently being used with the most success by 1000 yard benchrest shooters today is the 6.5/284.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

for a little more go 300 win mag or 300 rum
Old 12-11-2004, 07:55 PM

It really depends on what you want to use it for? Any chambering can be accurate if it is loaded right to compliment the rifle it is shot out of. Are you talking knock down power, long range stuff, a flat trajectory, what exactly? It also has a lot to do with bullet type and weight.

Technically for long distance stuff a heavier longer bullet works better because it has a better Ballistics Coeficient, and the weight helps in the wind. This why many Military long distance match shooters and snypers like the .308 so much, and tend to go with heavier bullet weights at longer distances (1000 meters). Sure it's not as flat, but it has a better BC and carries more energy to the target.

As far as flat shooting and accurate most of the varmint type cartridges work really well, like the .223, .220 swift and 22-250 and the likes.

For utmost accuracy it really boils down to the guy loading the rounds and how much home work he puts into it.

I used to have a browning HI Power I bought used from a coworker in the military. He gave me a bunch of handloads he had left for it when I bought it. It shot pretty good with the right factory ammo, but was amazingly accurate with the handloads he worked up for it.

Paul
Old 12-11-2004, 08:36 PM
bigcountry

I have great luck with any short action. 300WSM, 270WSM, 308, 243. Velocity spreads are very low, and very dynamic load. I have yet to load for the 6.5/284, but from what I seen from my friends, they have extreme good luck. Don't expect 16fps spread with a 300RUM, or 300win mag or many of the long action calibers no matter what is printed here. Sure, I have gotten them to shoot just as good. But its so easy with the short actions, in my opinion. I get velocity spread upwards of 50 to 70fps with my 300RUM. This is with a custom gun and two others. I get them to shoot .5" groups at 100yards but you can see this velocity spread over 500yards. I start getting verticle spreading.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:18 PM

thanks guys, most of you hit the nail on the head. I used to shoot competition rimfire, so i know all the accurizing techniques, the importance of good optics and form......
as to mr. mohrs post, i guess i am looking for a cartridge that shoots a little flatter, has a little more KE, but will still have a high potential for being precise.
i like how SD Shooter used the word "intrinsically" it does truly describe the cartridge i am looking for (has a natural ability for accuracy).
i own a 30/30, and a 1903 springfield (its serial # has safety issues with the bolt) so i am looking for a high performing cartridge that will not sacrafice much in any department. i know im asking for the miracly cartridge, but like SD said, lets keep this post going
i was thinking of the 7mm/08 since it has the same case but slightly smaller bullet...but i really dont have much (less than 100 shots) of centerfire expirience, although i did shoot my buddies .300 RUM (it was fun, but might be a bit more than what i am looking for ).

Quick Reply: the most accurate cartridge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.