Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Concealed Carry Permit in schools >

Concealed Carry Permit in schools

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Concealed Carry Permit in schools

Old 12-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Concealed Carry Permit in schools

I was recently cleaning my room and i stumbled on to an article about wether or not to allow people with conceal to carry permits to bring their guns into schools. I would like to get your guys take on the issue, thnx
Old 12-10-2004, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Concealed Carry Permit

What would be the reason to take a gun into a school anyway?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every state that I know of says no to any gun in a school with a permit or not.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good Question. My permit says allowed to carry anywhere in the State. I think however that Medical centers, Bars, courthouses and schools would be an exception. There are about 14 states that honor South Dakotas carry permit. I am glad to see that expanding however I still don't think a permit should be required of a U. S. citizen in any state.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:00 PM

Well i was pissed when a man from florida had registed guns with all permitts but he got arrested in New York city for weapons possesion. I cant see how that makes since.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:33 PM

That makes no sense. Background check should allow you to be issued a permit that lets you carry anywhere in the 50 States. I have a permit and rarely carry, but different states having different rules is silly.
As for weapons in a school, NO.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ever wonder if one or more of the teachers at Columbine High School had been carrying a concealed weapon that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold might have been stopped sooner?

I also remember reading about another school shooting where the principal had a CCW and always brought his pistol to school and locked it up in his desk. Then the state passed a law that prohibited guns within 1000ft of any school, so being the good little law abiding citizen, he started leaving his weapon locked in his car, which he parked on the street at least 1000ft from the school. Well, one day a student brought a gun to school and stated shooting up the place, but rather than reaching in his desk drawer, grabbing his weapon and stopping the situation immediately, he had to leave the school, run 1000ft (that's 333 YARDS) to his car, get his gun, run >333 yards back before he was able to use his gun to regain control of the situation. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly where this occured (someone help me out if you know specifics), but it is a true story. Of course, the press hardly mentioned that it was the principal WITH HIS HANDGUN that stopped the bloodshed.

I personally think that CCW permit holders ought to be allowed to carry ANYWHERE. Think about it, if they are not dangerous carrying a gun in the mall with hundreds of people (including kids) around, why would they be any more dangerous in a school? I would contend that having CCW permit holders (like teachers, for instance) carrying in and around schools makes schools a SAFER place for kids.

I just can't understand why the liberals that control the schools think that lawful CCW permit holders are inherently dangerous while at the same time believing that a law that says that say a criminal can't bring a gun within 1000ft of a school actually makes them safe, when the drug dealer/deranged sociopath couldn't care less about committing another minor offense in the process of committing a capital crime. Do you honestly think that people like Harris and Klebold actually would have decided not to go shoot up Columbine if the 1000ft rule had been in place? I hardly think they would have said, "we would go commit mass murder if only it weren't illegal to take a gun withing 1000ft of the school." The whole premise of prohibiting lawful citizens from carrying a gun in or around school property increases the safety of all is assinine.

Mike
Old 12-11-2004, 06:45 PM

Default RE: Concealed Carry Permit in schools

My compliments to Driftrider (Mike). He responded very appropriately. I certainly agree that no permits should be required of our citizens. Some of you may be aware that in 2003, Alaska did away with the requirement of a permit. The members of the gun culture must continue to work in our respective states to eliminate permiting requirements. In the mean time, we also should push for reciprocity with other states. If you are a good citizen in your home state, why wouldn't you be a good citizen in the rest of the states?

As we all get older, we reach a point where we no longer can duke it out with the bad guys. And as we get older, we will not be able to run away from trouble. And if you happen to be young and healthy, and have two or three little kids, which one(s) are you going to leave behind if you run away? And what about your wife, will she have to leave a kid behind? And what if a grandparent is babysitting your child - same problem!

I bumped into an off duty police officer in Lincoln, Nebraska several months ago. He noticed my NRA cap and we started visiting. I commented that Nebraska has no provision for concealed carry. He said that it really didn't matter since he was a police officer and could carry all the time. And of course, when he retires he will still be allowed to carry. He had a wife and two little kids with him. So I asked what about his wife, when he was at work. And what about his parents. He had only been thinking about himself. If was very obvious that the light came on.

South Dakota is a good state when it comes to guns. But you still can't carry in federal buildings (post office, forrest service & BLM offices, airports beyond the security point, social security office, VA admin & VA hospitals, etc.), courthouses, schools and bars.

When you travel to another state, you have to abide by their laws. Always check in advance. The laws are often different.

SD Shooter
Old 12-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

SD Hunter. ND now horors SD permits. My wife works in ND but I am a SD resident. There are about a dozen states or so that honor ND and SD permits.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:56 PM

What ever happened to states honoring each others equivalent legal documents? I'm I going to get arrested in New jersey for driving without a liecence? Am i not married in vermont?

Quick Reply: Concealed Carry Permit in schools

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.