HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Rash of Bad Encore Barrels (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/82144-rash-bad-encore-barrels.html)

bigcountry 12-10-2004 10:31 AM

Rash of Bad Encore Barrels

My gunsmith in Westminster, MD has 5 barrels that his customers has brought back in, in the past year. They claim they won't group. One of the range officers at my range is one of the owners. He got 4"-5" groups with federal match ammo at 100yards with 308Win. Usually all guns like that stuff. He tried many other brands also. He got tired of it and bought a bullberry and now is almost a target rifle. But paid alot for that barrel. Anyway, my gunsmith has been fighting with T/C to replace them. They range from .223 to 50cal muzzleloader barrel. Complains range from bad headspace, rough barrels, crown out of round, whatever. He has even took legal action with a lawyer prelimaryly starting procedings. T/C hasn't replied.

I feel kinda bad. I have shot a few encores with decent groups. Nothing outstanding but very decent. So I talked my sister in law into buying my brother one for Christmas. Now he is getting one, and I will be to blame if it doesn't shoot.

Has anyone else seen this in the last year? I am not talking about 2 year or 3 year old encores. So don't bother posting about that. I am talking late 03, and 04 rifles. My smith said something drastic happened the barrels making this year.

bigcountry 12-11-2004 10:02 AM

RE: Rash of Bad Encore Barrels

Wow, kinda surprised all the Encore guys didn't rush to this.

Carpmaster 12-11-2004 11:14 AM

Id like to hear more of what comes out of this with TC!

James B 12-11-2004 12:33 PM

I have not seen that yet but I have been shooting mostly Contender barrel for the last quite a few years. Does this problem include the Contenders as well. Thanks for the heads up.

bigcountry 12-11-2004 03:48 PM

I am not sure about contenders. I will definatly keep up with it. All the barrels were encore factory barrels. I made up my mind that if I invested in one, I would buy bullberry barrels. Amazing the way they shoot.

DelcoJim 12-11-2004 07:51 PM

Never had a problem, hope i won't, i know of 3 encore 50 ca; muzzleloaders that have no problem , maybe it is just 1 caliberhaving the problem ? or maybe just the loads the guys are trying to shoot thru them .

T/C fan! 12-11-2004 09:42 PM

I'm interested in hearing what T/C has to say too. Its strange to hear that they won't replace them. T/C has always stood behind their products with a guarantee and seems to have always backed that up well.

bigcountry 12-12-2004 11:42 AM

Well, T/C wants him to send them in. He did that once with one barrel, but the same problems persist. Now his lawyer wants him to not send anymore in. He's an intense dude to say the least. Definatly a man of principle. He knows his stuff. Yea, I can't figure out exactly what happened for him not to send back the rest of them and just work with T/C.

liquidorange 12-12-2004 12:49 PM

if the barrels were fixed i would ask for the test target so that it would show the groups. its funny how you say they wont replace them or honor some kind of warranty. i called about a 10 year old muzzleoader that needed the barrel re-finished and they said to send it in and that it is covered for life.the wear is a combination of age and bad weather .

soonershooter 12-12-2004 06:50 PM

Not had a problem. I have an '03 50 cal and a 22-250. Shoots great. Sounds like scope issues perhaps. At the least check for slop in the hinge pin first. Get other guys at the range to fire it to see if they can get it to group.

That lawyer doesn't want to be reasonable. Not sending in the merchandise can get the case thrown out of court for lack of sincerity. The owner hasn't been damaged if TC can't have more opportunity to respond and offer to replace.