Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm-08 for moose? >

7mm-08 for moose?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm-08 for moose?

Old 12-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm-08 for moose?

I don't know maybe it's me,don't moose live near water?Are they not large creatures weighing over 1000 lbs.

I just saw some photos of a Montana moose 43 incher,the smaller of the GREAT YUKON moose.The man is a freind of mine he shot his 3 times with a 300 WSM 180 gr. Nosler Part. and it still swam the Big Hole river and needed a 4th shot to the neck to put it down.
Now to me I don't care if you put 1-100 gr bullet well placed these animal absorb some lead,I think I will shoot the biggest gun I have.
It's alot easier to feilddress on the "tera firma" than in the "aqua".Shoot what you wan't it's your moose.
BBJ
Old 12-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sure will I have killed moose with a 270 win and for all intense purposes this would be very similar with the slight edge going to the 7mm 08 in some aspects. The key in my mind is pick the right bullet first off and limit yourself in shot angles and distance taken. Moose are not horribly tough to kill but they have extremely thick hides and large bone/muscle structure therefore some thought should be put forth on what you'll be using and how it would be most effective for the situation.

If you will be buying over the counter ammo you'll be limited to 140 Nosler Part. or 140 win Failsafe as your moose ammo, however if you will be reloading you'll have much more to choose from. I would also give some thought to what chambering you choose for your hunting needs vs where and how you will be getting ammo for them. IMHO the 7mm 08 is a great choice but as a bigger game offering I think it is a bit limiting to the owner who doesn't crunch his/her own loads!

As to anything will work, sure but why limit yourself in the "Real World" of hunting how many times have you always got all the factors on your side...personally (and this is just my 2 cents worth) I would like a bit of insurance on my side that if that angled shot is presented I will sent the bullet home. I can not physically use certain rifles but if I could I would choose more than required everytime when it comes to hunting. As such I pick the best weapon for the job and my abilities, no such thing as over kill....again that is just my thoughts.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken 1 bull moose with the 7mm-08 and the 140gr partition.It did work well but the shot was broadside through the lungs with no bones encountered.Moose are easy to kill considering their size,but they are still a large animal.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:32 AM
bigcountry

And let me tell ya, easy to miss, believe it or not. I did about 3 years ago.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oldelkhunter. You right. I did one of those with the 6.5x55. Its a very under rated rifle. The 160 grain bullet has very high sectional density and penetrates like you wouldn't believe. I agree with Big contry as well. Game is getting a lot tougher than it used to be. Its hard to belive that anything bigger than varmit deer were ever killed before the magnum age and without cannons.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Thousands of moose are killed annualy in the Scandinavian countries with 6.5x55's why wouldn't a 7-08 do the trick?
Yep and the same thing is happening in Canada with the 303 British... I read an article that claimed (can't confirm this) that more moose have been shot with the .303 than any other caliber worldwide and with the proliferation of new swanky bullets like WSMs, this record should hold.. I don't know if this is true, but I do know that a lot of moose are being taken (for food) year round with .303s by natives.

If anything gets hit in the ribs with a .303 or larger it will die. I personally would chose the 308 over the 7mm-08 due to popularity and ease of purchasing bullets.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now don't get me wrong a 7-08 would not be my first choice in this matter but if that is all Ihad I wouldn't consider myselfr undergunned. Seems like no matter what you hit a Moose with there is always that momentary delay until they finally realize they are hit and are going to die.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Whitehorn. You are probably right. In Canada the 303 was by far the most popular big game cartridge for decades. This holds true in Africa as well. The time that the old 303 has put in in the hunting fields would be quite sure to place it high on the list of game takers. Are there better guns? You bet. However its done it all and will again. I have two good 303's one is the Long Branch from Canada. The other was made here by Winchester for the British during the last world war.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Game is getting a lot tougher than it used to be. Its hard to belive that anything bigger than varmit deer were ever killed before the magnum age and without cannons.
Yeah, with all this talk about how much bullet is needed to hunt big game animals you'd think they were wearing armor during the hunting season these days.

However, if I were hunting in an area that has a good population of big grizzly bears I would choose to bring a bigger gun. But that's only if I were hunting where I could easily become the prey.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

i dont know where in Canada your talking about because i dont know 1 person that shoots 303, here in alberta .270, .30 06, 7mmmag, 300win mag have to be some of the most popular rounds.

check it out there isnt one person on this sight that uses one. http://www.albertabucks.com/2004harvests.htm

Quick Reply: 7mm-08 for moose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.