Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag >

Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag

Old 12-09-2004, 05:20 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Which has more recoil, the Short Mag or the non Short Mag

Man, you guys take anything that chuckhawks page say as the word of the almighty don't ya. Anybody bother to just calculate it with different loads?

Old 12-09-2004, 09:02 PM

The info from Chuck Hawks was a compilation of others' research anyway, but yes it's almost accepted as gospel. [8D]
Also, I have found the free versions of Shoot! software provided by Remington and Winchester have lots of features, one of them allows you to calculate recoil, very useful indeed.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

an ultra fast burning powder
Wonder what powder that is. Never heard that one before. The 270win and 270WSM use bascially the same powder, with the WSM utilizing powder more on the slow side. In other words I couldn't see using 4064 in a WSM. Comparing the WSM and 270, I find the 270WSM kicking much harder out of almost identical winchester feather. But I use a 47gr IMR4064 load for the 270win and Re22 for the 270WSM.
Faster burning powder? From what I have read, the WSM round burns more efficiently due to the fact that the powder is more evenly packed and spread (fatter cartridge) so more of it burns at the same time, that's how they achieve the same or better velocities as the larger magnums with less grain.