Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SAKO rifles BLOW UP!!! >

SAKO rifles BLOW UP!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SAKO rifles BLOW UP!!!

Old 12-07-2004, 11:09 PM

Default SAKO rifles BLOW UP!!!

You can read full story here as well as see pics...

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubb...5&o=21&fpart=1

Old 12-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SAKO rifles BLOW UP!!!

Well, I know that I won't be buying a Sako any time soon.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't be buying on either. I've seenpictures of such a blowup from a Sako a year or so ago. The stupid fluted barrels probably don't help much either in providing logitudinal weaknesses in the barrel. I won't buy a Glock for the same reason also.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:32 AM

Thats not good!! i guess i wont be buying one. wow
Old 12-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a rifle that looked very similar to this one a few years ago. Seems the shooter and his son were sighting in their rifles. The boy shot a 35 Remington and the old man a 30-06. Seems dad had his head up his butt and chambered a 35 Remington shell in the 30-06. Big bang! The brass fits but the bullet doesn't. This looks to be a similar case or an obstruction in the barrel.
[&o]
Old 12-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I showed the pictures to my uncle who has been in metal forging for over 40 years hes says he would have to see the pieces of the barrel up close and in person to give an accurate idea of went wrong but from the pictures he could see alot of discoloring in the metal fibers associtated with uneven carbon structure in the steel which could essentially cause the rifle to burst like that and the flutes in the barrel surely did not help any.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to add my uncle said that a common problem with stainless steel barrel manufacturing is that its easy to heat up the the steel to too high of a temp and cool too fast which weakens the steel, because of the low carbon molecules in stainless steel the cooling process is less forgiving. My uncle will put his money on that for being the reason. I cant do nothing but agree it makes sense.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 AM

Just food for thought:

You can make any rifle blowup with inproper ammunition including overly "hot" handloads and of course the incorrect caliber. Not a big fan of SAKO but they are not junk rifles.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems that Beretta after purchasing Sako wanted faster barrel production and attempted to change that process. The Sakos affected were the finnlight models in wsm calibers. If one would notice a lot of custom gunsmiths and barrel makers have issues with making lightweight barrels out of stainless steel and also their use in extremely cold weather. Just look at the Krieger barrel site and their disclaimers concerning minimum contour barrels made out of SS. They offer 410 stainless as an alternative(higher price) for those situations. I also understand that Weatherby makes their barrels and recievers out of 410 in lieu of 416 probably because they make thin barrels out of SS. I have owned many Sakos both blued and stainless and never had a problem when purchased the gun was purchased new. I did buy a used one that some nitwit attempted to pressure point bed and had to have the gun rebedded.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:28 PM

Damn, I hope nobody was hurt!

Quick Reply: SAKO rifles BLOW UP!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.