Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Glass Bedding >

Glass Bedding

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Glass Bedding

Old 12-06-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Glass Bedding

Does anyone have any suggestions for DIY glass bedding. Is there a guide to doing it somewhere on the web or even some basic explination of the process?

It seems to be one of those things that could really improve accuracy.

Or is it just worth the money to have a gunsmith do it?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 10:04 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Glass Bedding

Its one of those things, that you want to watch someone do it first. Then it seems easy. Its no problem as long as you don't have to remove much material from your stock. The accuglass kit tells you how.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:08 PM

Here's a link you might find helpful:

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/bedding.html
Old 12-15-2004, 09:31 PM

Thanks!
I love this search feature...
Old 12-16-2004, 06:33 AM

It's not that hard if you are good with your hands and are willing to take the time to do it properly. Brownells sells a few bedding kits, detailed instructions are included in the kit.

http://www.brownells.com/Default.aspx

The biggest mistake is not taking your time, follow every step of the instructions to a T. I would not do this on your pride and joy for the first time. Be extremely neat insuring to clean all edges and anywhere the bedding "oozed" and the job will look professional. You could try it out on a cheap .22 or something for the first time.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brownell's also sells an instructional video on the subject of bedding. I have quite a bit of woodworking experience, so I felt pretty confident about doing my first one, but I still bought the video because I didn't want to leave any stone unturned. I used Brownell's Steelbed kit with every rifle I've done.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 AM

This one?
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...tle=STEEL+BED?

Makes a big difference? Or is this something I should do if I'm unhappy with how my rifle is shooting?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, that's the kit. I like the Steelbed better than the regular AccraGlass because it sets up harder.

Some rifles shoot well enough right off the bat and may not really need bedding. However, if you're not satisfied with how your rifle shoots, then bedding would be one of the first things to try to improve it. As for me, well, I like to tinker on things and I tend to glass bed my rifles from the get-go. If done right it will generally always help. At least that's been my experience.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:00 AM

How is the bedding on Tikka's?
What might complicate things for me is that it's a Laminated and the color is "grayish". Perhaps I might not even need it though, but knowing me I'd do it anyway to get that last ounce of performance.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about the Tikkas. I have bedded two Sako 75's (Tikkas big brother) without any problems. A laminated stock is still wood, so working with it should be about the same as with a regular walnut stock. Depending on the glue they used to laminate it with, however, it might be tougher on your tools. Now a synthetic stock is a different animal. I've never bedded an action into a synthetic stock.

The color of the Steelbed is gray, so it might match real well with the stock. If the color is too light, I believe they include some dye with the kit which enables you to darken it. Use the dye very, very sparingly, though, because if you darken it too much, there's no going back.

Quick Reply: Glass Bedding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.