HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   9mm luger for deer hunting??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/81529-9mm-luger-deer-hunting.html)

superman8791 12-05-2004 02:57 PM

9mm luger for deer hunting???

Hey just taking opinions...what do you guys think of taking deer with a 9mm luger? I ve got a automatic 9mm rifle I was thinking i could use for taking deer at close range(50 yards max). I have other hunting rifles 3006,243,etc, but this one is small compact and shoots fast so it would be ideal for close range and quick follow up shots. I was thinking what deer could take a 9mm Hydroshok to the lungs and still live???What do yall think??

frizzellr 12-05-2004 03:59 PM

RE: 9mm luger for deer hunting???

First of all you need to check your hunting regulations to see if it is legal. Second you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you would consider it in the first place. Use the right tool for the right job.

superman8791 12-05-2004 04:13 PM

frizzellr, dont get huffy, it was just a question..also i was considering it because of the before stated reasons "good for close range and quick follows ups", as my other two deer rifles are scoped and the area im hunting this year is max50 yards or so and I would like something with open sights.

bigcountry 12-05-2004 04:20 PM

Don't think I would do it. 357 mag is the smallest I would use. I use a 44mag myself. Even with follow up shots, you take a great risk of shooting things you don't want shot, like hind quarters. 9mm has verylitte energy needed. Shoot, I won't even use a 9mm for home defense. I would take my bow anyday over a 9mmluger. Just don't make any sense whatsoever.

Ruger-Redhawk 12-05-2004 04:43 PM

Superman welcome to the forum......
No way could I ever recommend a 9mm for deer.I don't put much faith in a 9mm period.I put a 41 mag as a min.Like Frizzellr said check your states regulations.I'll be willing to bet it's not legal.In fact I would be shocked if it is.Even though you'd be using a rifle with better velocities it just isn't suited for deer.Buy yourself a short barreled rifle for heavy cover or take a scope off your other rifle and use the open sights.We all owe it to the deer (game) to make the most humane kills possible.I can't see nothing humane using a 9mm in any shape or form.

Ruger Redhawk

8mm/06 12-05-2004 04:54 PM

If a 9mm parabellum is to be used for taking a deer, I'd only see it as useful when it is the coup-de grace...once behind the ear. Otherwise, there are way too many other better choices. Even in a rifle barrel with a cranked up load there just doesn't seem to be a reason for it.

James B 12-05-2004 05:08 PM

Not Legal in either of the states that hunt in. Not a deer gun IMO.

Briman 12-05-2004 06:10 PM

Its not legal where I live either.

I would be suprised if a .357 magnum revolver which is legal in my state for deer hunting, would have any more energy than a +P+ 9mm shot from a carbine however.

Virginia7 12-05-2004 06:30 PM

".....What do yall think??"

I think it's a bad idea, and probably illegal to boot. 9mm has insufficient power, and you
have better equipment to use. If you persist in this, be sure to check your state's game
regulations ref. legal firearms before proceeding.

castman 12-05-2004 06:58 PM

You say your only hunting 50 yards max and that your other 2 guns are scoped. Why not just take the scope off of one of them and use it? You dont need a scope for 50 yards, and if you make the shot count you wont need more than one.