Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bushnell 3x9 went foggy >

Bushnell 3x9 went foggy

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bushnell 3x9 went foggy

Old 12-02-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Bushnell 3x9 went foggy

On the last day of my hunt this year, my scope went completely foggy. I don't know what causes this, gas leaks out or what. I have seen it before on one of our older scopes.

This is a Bushnell 3x9, and as close as I can guess, it is between 5 and 7 years old. What should I do with this? Do i send it in to get fixed? Is there a warranty? SHould I just buy a new one?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bushnell 3x9 went foggy

It could of been something as simple as you breathing on it. My friend has a Bushnell also, last year he shouldered his gun, it was cold out his breath fogged it up, now he puts the anti-fog treatment on his scope, the same stuff you put on your windsheild
Old 12-02-2004, 07:53 AM

lol, no, it is not as simple as that. I certainly would have thought of that.

I looked at it closely last night when I was cleaning it, I don't know how scopes work, but it looks like there is a lense inside of the front lense, and that is the one that is clouded up. It has been inside for 4 days now, and is dry. It doesn't look like condensation or anything, just looks fogged. At first I could see through a little bit, but now you ca't see through it. [:@]
Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 AM

The scope is nitrogen purged. It probably developed a leak at a seal. Moisture got in. You didn't specify what it is. If it is a Sportsman, banner, sharpshooter, etc. Chuck it. If it's an Elite or Scopchief, send it back. The later are the higher end scopes worth fixing. The others perobably aren't worth the shipping. Besides, Bushnells picky about what they warrenty. If there's a scratch on the scope, the will say it's been abused and make you pay for the repair.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:10 AM

Thanks Pharaoh.

I have to check on the model, Im not sure which one it is.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:28 PM

Even if it is a Bushnell Trophy, which I think is a pretty decent scope, you can get a brand new one for under $90 from Midway. If it is one of the lower end models you would probably be better off junking it[X(] and getting a new one.

Just once inyour life I would recommend that you splurge on a really nice scope, one of the top end Leupolds, a Bushnell Elite, a Zeiss Conquest or something like that. You'd be amazed at the difference a really, really good scope makes.