Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New hunter need help with first shotgun >

New hunter need help with first shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New hunter need help with first shotgun

Old 12-01-2004, 09:58 PM

Default RE: New hunter need help with first shotgun

i would say the best place to buy your shotgun would be at your local gun shop...you might pay a little more there, but it is worth it. the guys as dicks/walmart, and i have found here, at gander mountain cant tell the different between the shotgun you want and a hole in the ground. its also good to support the small guys. they will have lots of knowledge and be able to help you in the future as well. its good to sort of establish a home base, a place you can go for all your shooting needs. you get more than a gun, tips on where to hunt, ammo to use....kinda like this board....
...as for the gun the combo would work fine, if you want a higher grade get the wingmaster and buy a rifled barrel later, it is up to you...as everyone said you cant go wrong with the 870.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:12 PM

Thanks. I think I am going to go the 870 route. Thanks adkfreeridex for the wingmaster idea but that is a litte out of my price range. I have to say if I realy enjoy hunting as much as I think I am I will look for this as a nice upgrade latter.

I will have to looking around for some local shops though. My problem is because Gander Mountin started as a company out by me there are not a lot of shops around. But when I was there the guy behind the counter was very smart about hunting and guns. He was a older gentelman and he does a lot of hunting himself. Old oiginal location is less then 20min form my house. Now it is just for catalog orders starting in September of this year.

Having the real wood on there I have been reading the some people love it because it makes less noise, but some say it does not last long. I know when I am in the wetlands it is going to get splashed with water a litte because some areas you will hit water from about 2" to 24+" with out a warning becuase of the cover. Just wondering how long does the wood hold up? How often should I redo the finish on it? I remember the old woodie cars had to be redone about every 2 years because of weather. Will refinishing it help it last longer or hurt the gun more?

Thanks everyone for your help you have changed my pick in a gun and I like this a lot better becaue I can change the barrels as I change my hunting witch I could not do with the Benelli.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I would try all the shotguns and see what fits and feels the best. The 870 is reliable though "rough" and kicks like a mule.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

very satisfied with the nova, but the 870s are great too,
Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 PM

if you take care of the wood it should last plenty long....all the guns in my family still have thier original finish on them and thats going back 60 years or so.....just may sure you dry it out all the way when you are done and get a nice oiled gun rag to keep the metal nice after a hunt. but then again with plastic you dont have to be so mindful of such things.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:05 PM

Thanks. I will still feel out the Nova. I just like that idea of being able to change out the barrels. Right now I have the geese, duck, and Deer for the biggest hunting out by me, but local parks are starting to get turkey and other game in the area and with being about 10min from a few large government wildlife park area it take about a few years before their new stock starts to get to are place. We use to be only 3 reported spots Sand Hill Crane in northern IL out side the park on private property for a few year, and now they are getting big in are area. We had a huge flock over are house this weekend. There is talk in a few year of them doing a very small season for them if they keep on growing in numbers like they are.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

i have the 870 express mag and love it i put a recoil pad on it and it kicks like a light 20 gauge i use it for just about everything and would never stray from it (without damn good cause) anyway youll like it
Old 12-08-2004, 05:01 PM

This is all good hear. I will still feel them out but I am liking the setup for this gun. Just wondering what is a good site to look and reveiws and compair shotguns? Or is there a site like this out there?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:30 PM

The best guns on the market for a beginner adult would be the 870 and the 1300. Both run between 250&300$. Both have plenty of after market parts and both have great resale values. Dont need 3.5 I have seen more deer dead with 3 than 3.5. Thier pumps and their reliable.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: The870

The best guns on the market for a beginner adult would be the 870 and the 1300. Both run between 250&300$. Both have plenty of after market parts and both have great resale values. Dont need 3.5 I have seen more deer dead with 3 than 3.5. Thier pumps and their reliable.
1300 who makes that one?

Quick Reply: New hunter need help with first shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.