Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Deer Aren't Dropping >

Deer Aren't Dropping

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer Aren't Dropping

Old 11-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Aren't Dropping

I'll counter Bareback's post: If you're worried about deer running, break their shoulder. I did this on every deer I shot back in high school, I'd wait for a shot so I could break the far shoulder on the way out (i.e. line of sight through the heart and lungs into the far shoulder). If you use a stout bullet like a nosler partition or a fail safe, you can hit the near shoulder and it'll PROBABLY still get to the vitals, but it's pretty risky...I really liked breaking the far shoulder...even if they didn't DIE quickly, they weren't going anywhere in any hurry...Don't compromise a vital shot by aiming for the far shoulder, but a quartering away shot almost always presents itself, and it gives the perfect angle for this shot.

180grns is more than you need for deer, 150grn in .30-06 or .308 is the general trend among most hunters.

One thing I'll say, if what you were doing worked, and what you ARE doing doesn't, switch back.

I personally use Winchester Supreme power point plus's or Supreme Ballistic Silvertips (NOT GOOD FOR CLOSE RANGE). When I reload my ammo, which I don't usually bother with for hunting (I need 20rnds of hunting ammo and 1000's of rounds of target/plinking/coyote ammo during a year), I use Nosler partitions or swift A-frames. I've used Barnes X bullets in the past too...Any of these bullets are good for quick kills and blood trails.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy or reload Barnes x bullets with an SD of .240 or better then shoot rifle until i shot good groups. Then i would put the bullet into the shoulder & waste a pound of meat and drop them right there. I have harvested over 100 deer and shot a few types of ammo. I know those Barnes x bullets work!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:03 PM

Statjunk, the ONLY deer that ever dropped straight in its tracks for me was the doe I shot in 2002. I hit her right between the eyes with my .243. I must point out hat I do not countenance head shots as a matter of course; this deer was probably about 75 yards out, and I am ABSOLUTELY confident that I can cover a 100 yard three shot group with a quarter with this weapon and this handload.

One of the most memorable experiences in my life is delivering a fatal heart/lung shot on my first deer with a 165 grain .30-06 round. The deer dropped like a sack of potatoes, but then tried to get up, and struggled a bit. It would have died in a minute or tow, but for that deer, it would have been a LOOOONG minute. I admisinstered a head hsot coupe-de-grace. Obviously this was not a very photogenic first kill, but it bothers me to this day that this deer looked me in the eye as it died. It brought home the message that for me to survive, other living things must nourish me, and they deserve as quick and humane an end as can be administered[X(].

Anyway, they all tasted great.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:46 PM

I would also have to agree that you are expecting too much if you think that the deer will fall over right away every time. I've had a deer run over a hundred yards and when I field dressed it I couldn't enough heart meat to save it because it was in peices. I try to take out one shoulder if not both now. What little bit of meat I lose compensates for not having to track them.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone have a picture of exactly where my shot should be placed on a deer.

I usually put it right behind the front shoulder on the rib cage even with the top of the shoulder.

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would using a hollow point help me at all for dropping deer?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Generally, hollow points are too "explosive" for use on deer, they give rapid, uncontrolled, and typically irregular expansion (but then again, a lot of us use Ballistic tip bullets?)....if you're close, yes, they'll thump the heck out of a deer and probably take it down, but they do a LOT of meat damage. Based on what I've seen of HP's in the past on deer, you probably won't get an exit wound, so if you make a marginal shot, you might not be able to track your deer.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:16 PM

I have never had a deer drop in its tracks from a broadside shot through the lung/heart area (the same shot that you said you take). The only time I have seen them drop is when they have had the shoulders broken on broadside shots.

Shooting them behind the shoulder will usually let them run off a short ways. I shot a deer a 60 yards over the week end that ran close to 100 yards without the use of its lungs (I was shooting a .300 Win. Mag. broadside). The blood trail was very good. They will also drop on head on shots to the chest also (usually breaks bone).

Cheers,
Donavan
Old 11-24-2004, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stat, here is a cut picture of a deer's anatomy, hope it helps you some. On a standing broadside I aim just behind the crease of the facing front leg approx. 1/3 of way up.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:26 AM

If you want to drop a deer in its tracks regularly (2/3 of the times or more) then you need some tougher bullets and you need to take shoulder shots. You break the shoulder blades and the deer isnt going anywhere. This also breaks or atleast shocks the spine, so they're completely immobile. But I wouldnt take this shot with a ballistic tip or other rapid-expanding type bullet because you wont get an exit wound most of the time, and you might not even make it to the 2nd shoulder (on a broadside deer) I did this with the very first deer I shot using 140gr Ballistic tips in my 7mm08, not only was there not an exit wound, but there wasnt an obvious entrance wound. All we knew was the deer was laying dead on top of the hill. We couldnt find the entrance hole until we skinned the deer. So get some tough bullets and aim for the shoulder if you want the "drop em in their tracks" shot

Quick Reply: Deer Aren't Dropping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.