Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 No exit wound? >

No exit wound?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

No exit wound?

Old 11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No exit wound?

He was still breathing when I walked up on him but he was dead
Huh? Am I missing something? Was he brain dead but hooked up to a respirator?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Was he brain dead but hooked up to a respirator?
LMAO
Old 11-23-2004, 03:43 PM

I had shot an 8point last week with a .243 at near 15-25 yards and no exit wound. I did find where the bullet was though, just a lump on the other side, but it really surprised me aswell. I was half expecting at that range to have an easy pass through
Old 11-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was half expecting at that range to have an easy pass through
Actually, in many cases penetration with expanding bullets is INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL to the velocity at impact, because the higher velocity causes the bullet to expand faster and to a greater degree than if it were moving slower. Bullets also tend to lose more weight at hight impact velocities than at lower speeds for the same reason. If you'd have shot that deer at 100-200 yards you probably would have had a pass through, but at 25 yards that bullet was truckin' along so fast that it reduced its penetration.

Mike
Old 11-23-2004, 05:26 PM

I sometimes have exit wounds. sometimes not! The Doe I hit in the belly behind the Shoulder, and it hit the Heart, and blew out the bottom part of the other Shoulder.

On the Buck, I hit it high and in the Spine behind the Neck. Mushroomed and did'nt exit. The Doe had Blood everyhwere, all over Tree's... but the Buck had just a trace of Blood on the Ground where he dropped. But it eventually got up, and stumbled off, jumped a Fence and bedded down into a nearby Thicket. Lucky my Friend seen where it was... with no Blood Trail.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 7mm-08 & i reload using Barnes x bullets 140 gr. they pass thru at any angle and there is a good blood trail.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

He was still breathing when I walked up on him but he was dead
Huh? Am I missing something? Was he brain dead but hooked up to a respirator?
Well I guess I should have worded it better.
He had a blow-hole through his shoulder.
How is this,
He was still breathing when I walked up on him,but he was dead none the less.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

As driftrider pointed out, some bullet types will actually display LESS penetration the closer you are to your target (i.e. the faster the bullet is traveling) up to a critical transition point....

Take the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips for example....From my .30-06, I have noticed this on more than a few occasions...

I shot a deer at 12yrds (yes, 12yrds), I SAW the bullet hit her, she fell down, and got back up with a HUGE flesh wound at the IMPACT point (size of two open hands)...she ran off. I knew since the entry wound was huge, there would be no exit wound, (hydrostatic backlash wound), but I figured she'd bleed badly, and only run a little ways...boy was I wrong. Blood trail for about 100yrds, down to drops, then stopped...I never found her.

With the same bullet/load, I shot a deer at ~40yrds, again the deer fell and got back up...I guess this time I got better penetration, he ran about 180-200yrds and crashed. I heard where he ran to, and luckily he crashed in an open bean field, so spotting him wasn't hard....There was no blood trail...It was a perfect hit, but my bullet had shattered, the near lung was cut to ribbons, and the base of the bullet was lodged in the middle of the heart...there were bullet fragments everywhere in the wound...even where he lay there wasn't much blood

THE FIRST DEER I ever took with this load is what sold me on them...I had been using them on paper and coyotes for some time...they were a bit too hard for yotes, so I thought I'd try them on deer....I took a 383yrd shot on a 8pt buck (well practiced at long ranges mind you), he dropped in his tracks. Pinky sized entrance, tennis ball sized exit wound, and a LOT of blood on the ground.

I used them for a few years, and never took a shot under 75yrds with them, and they did fine (I use a revolver for "short range work")...I only noticed the problem when I started leaving the handgun at home and took these short shots with them.

When they're going too fast, the bullets fail, so they pop like balloons and don't penetrate or do much damage. When they've flown far enough to slow down a bit, they'll retain more bullet weight, and give better penetration and better wound channels.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, they sometimes give it away when you get a good lung shot...I think the deer I got last year with my bow was getting more air through the wound than through her throat!!!!
Old 11-26-2004, 08:13 PM

Nosler Partitions = good expansion + exit wound!

I use 165Grn partitions in my BAR 30-06. Shot a nice 8Pt on the run (fast trot) this year. He was coming (from left to right) through a recently clear cut area, weaving through the downed tree tops & junping logs. Found an opening & waited on him. When he passed through the opening, @ about 50 Yds, I fired, but thought I had hit him a little far back. At the shot he kicked and shifted into 3rd gear. He crossed the road & second shot was just as he entered some brush and I thought I missed that shot as it was through the brush and he didn't flinch or slow up. When he come out other side of the brush, still moving fast, I fired a 3rd time and really felt good about the shot. He went out of sight behind some more brush and I heard him crash another 25 yds down the hill.

From first shot to where he crashed was about 75Yds. Got him back to camp and found that I had hit him with all three shots. All were just behind the shoulder and if you spread your fingers wide, you could cover all three bullet holes with one hand. One was just a little back (as I had thought), but still a good lung shot. One was a little low, took out the heart, and one was perfect behind the shoulder, 1/3 of way up. All three bullets exited and the last shot, as he was quartering away, broke the left front leg. Needless to say, the blood trail was very evident.

I'm really pleased with the partitions performance and am also quite satisfied with their accuracy. I average 3/4" groups at 100Yds with them in my BAR and to me, that is more than sufficient accuracy for hunting.

Anyone else a Partition fan? I must say that I'm one now!

firstshot