Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My Last Remington >

My Last Remington

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My Last Remington

Old 11-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default My Last Remington

After owning many many Remingtons I have had my fill. I bought a new 700 BDL SS 2 months ago in 7 Rem mag. It might be the most accurate remington I have owned to date. I didn't carefully check it out when I picked it up and the floorplate is loose. Believe it or not to get warranty work done on it I have to send the COMPLETE rifle back to Remington to get this floorplate replaced. I replaced the ISS wart with a normal bolt shroud/firing pin assembly and adjusted the trigger. Total cost of rifle so far is 670 dollars. I take it hunting this weekend and walk thru brush and Voila my buddy tells me the bolt is ope[:@]. DId I tell you about stock noise? New style synthetic stock they sell and it is the noisiest stock I have ever owned. A bongo drum would be quieter in the woods. Yes it is very accurate but boy are they(Remington) really missing the mark. I am sending this POS back to have the floorplate replaced and then it is going to be gone .
Old 11-22-2004, 11:58 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: My Last Remington

Olkelk, be careful, not to send back that gun with your adjusted trigger on it. they will pull off the "good" adjusted one and put on a standard 6lb trigger and then charge you for it. It happened to me. Better off just sending the gun without a trigger. Thats what Remington told me anyway.

I like this ADL I got in a 204 but price was right at 350 dollars. I am with you however.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC Iknow that's why they want the gun back to make sure the trigger is within specs to CTA. I'll screw the pull weight screw in and set it for 5 lbs and they should be happy. If I decided to keep the gun after this weekend experience I will have to spend mucho bucks for a Replacement Mcmillan and ULA safety and I still will own a Remington. I hope someone in their customer relations department looks at this site and sees my comments but I am not holding my breath.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

My point exactly about the remingtons... Yes they have a reputation of being very accurate out of the box, but there are a lot of other variables to take in to affect...

Once you get a Remington to the specs you wish you are ussually in the 650+ range.

I say start out with a Sako out of the box and shoot it, you won't find a smoother action and a well balanced gun. Also they guarantee their accuracy, something remington won't do. If there is one problem with the Sako it is weight... Which to me isn't very important.

Sorry to hear about your experience Old Elk Hunter...
Old 11-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say start out with a Sako out of the box and shoot it, you won't find a smoother action and a well balanced gun. Also they guarantee their accuracy, something remington won't do. If there is one problem with the Sako it is weight... Which to me isn't very important.
Total agreement on that one. I guess the moral of the story is Buy what you really want because if you don't you'll pay many times for it.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Exactly...

Being young (and without a lot of resources) I have decided to make a list of guns I really want and go after them as I have the resources. I will use loner guns until I can get what I really want. I am currently hunting with a Browning A-bolt in 7mm-08, a very nice gun, but not my dream gun. I have shot many of my fathers guns and the one I love is his Sako 30-06, it is in a different league from the Win, Rem, Rugers, etc. He does have one pre-Garcia Winchester which is very nice, but a little on the worn side for me. He is currently looking at gettin the Blaser, so maybe I will inherit all the other guns, including the Sako!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:15 PM

If you are looking to buy a rifle someday and haven't made up your mind, I recommend that you take a look at the CZ 550. These are rather inexpensive, priced comparable to Rugers, and also feature the Mauser claw extractor, single set adjustable trigger, and scope rings/mounts are included in the price. The one sample I have is a recently acquired 6.5x55, and out of the box it is unbelievably accurate. The walnut stock is not quite as dressy as some but is still very nice.

I just bought my first and second Remington 700 rifles this year, and next month will be taking my BDL .30-06 on a wild boar hunt. It is a wonderfully accurate rifle, but the Ruger I junked this weekend due to poor accuracy had some real nice features that I will miss, especially the controlled feed. I'll have to keep an eye out for the bolt snagging on the shrubbery and opening at an inopportune time.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

yeah, that mauser claw extractor is real nice... Kimber uses it as well.

I have looked at the CZ's but they are not nearly as smooth as I would want out of my "perfect" gun. Don't get me wrong I beleive they are the best deal out there. One other problem I have is on some of them they have the magazine extending out of the bottom of the stock, I think it is the 550 line, but could be wrong.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had tons of 700 Remingtons. Not one problem of any kind. Not one malfunction. They have been perfect for me.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:51 PM

You do have a point on smoothness; once in a while the bolt on my CZ will catch on the follower when the magaizine is empty, instead of smoothly sliding over. I haven't had this long enough to hunt with yet, only to play at the range twice, so I haven't formed all the opinions I am likely to form just yet.

Still, this rifle compares very favorably with the Remingtons, Winchester and Ruger that I have owned, and I would recommend that anyone on the market for a good rifle have a look at them.

ORIGINAL: newguy23

yeah, that mauser claw extractor is real nice... Kimber uses it as well.

I have looked at the CZ's but they are not nearly as smooth as I would want out of my "perfect" gun. Don't get me wrong I beleive they are the best deal out there. One other problem I have is on some of them they have the magazine extending out of the bottom of the stock, I think it is the 550 line, but could be wrong.

Quick Reply: My Last Remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.