Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hunters killed in WI!! >

Hunters killed in WI!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunters killed in WI!!

Old 11-22-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Hunters killed in WI!!

I just heard about this on another website. Y'all be careful out there!

Here's the story from MSN:

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A deer hunter shot and killed five people and wounded three others in northwestern Wisconsin following a dispute about a tree stand during the hunt’s opening weekend, authorities said.

The 36-year-old alleged gunman was arrested Sunday afternoon, Sawyer County sheriff’s officials said. Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no additional details.

Paul Schnell, a spokesman for the St. Paul, Minn., police department, said the man was from St. Paul.

The incident began when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County when they saw the suspect in one of their hunting platforms in a tree, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

Unclear who fired first
It’s not known who shot first, Zeigle said.

Both hunters were wounded and one of them radioed to the cabin a quarter mile away. Other hunters responded and were shot. About 20 shots were fired in total, but it’s unclear who shot them, he said.

The dead included a teenage boy and a woman, Zeigle said. A father and son also were among them, he said. Some of the victims were shot more than once.

All five, from the Rice Lake area, were dead when officers arrived in the area in southwestern Sawyer County, he said. Authorities found two bodies near each other and the others were scattered over 100 yards.

“It’s absolutely nuts. Why? Over sitting in a tree stand?” said Zeigle.

Zeigle said the suspect was “chasing after them and killing them,” with a SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, a common hunting weapon. Wisconsin’s statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Two young people who were staying in the cabin emerged safely after the shootings.

Suspect got lost in woods
The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two hunters, not knowing about the shootings, helped him find his way out, Zeigle said. When he emerged, a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back, given to police by a victim, Zeigle said.

The man was out of bullets and was arrested, Zeigle said.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:09 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Hunters killed in WI!!

Thats a huge blow to us sportsman. They said he was using a SKS and (common hunting rifle). I don't know anyone that uses a SKS for deer hunting.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:14 AM

I agree. You can already see the direction they're heading with this when they say the SKS is a common hunting weapon. Yeah right!
Old 11-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll admit I give most civilians in the weeds with an assualt rifle a real wide berth unless I know them personally and their reputation. Poor souls.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:25 PM

I firmly believe that it is counterproductive to classify rifles as "GOOD" and "BAD" but I totally agree with you about strangers with assault weapons afield. The SKS would not be my choice to hunt anything with.

Plinking or punching paper, yes.

Having one for the sake of collecting interesting arms, yes.

Humane one shot kills on game animals when there are better choices available in the same $100 price range, like a surplus bolt action Mauser, not my preference.

But the beauty of our free society is that we are free to make our own choices, at least until some murderous moron such as Chai Soua Vang screws it up for all of us.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

In the original story I read it included the statement that he did not stop firing until his 20 round clip was empty. It also stated that there had been prior clashes with the Hmong and other landowners as they dont appear to understand (or care) about the rights of a landowner and the concept of private property and trespassing. Makes you wonder about why he had that much firepower in the deer woods. Could this have been a retalitory strike.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Cow! I feel like I stumbled on to the "Sportsmen for John Kerry" forum!

SKSs aren't really popular in Wisconsin for hunting, burt I do see them on occasion, and yes, Hmong use them alot because they are cheap to buy and not alot of these people are financiallyt well off.

You can already see the direction they're heading with this when they say the SKS is a common hunting weapon. Yeah right!
This was a law enforcement agent that stated this. If this were to happen in california, you wouldn't have seen the actuall weapon used but would be prompted toward a table full of AKs, handguns, and probably a .50 Barret with a politician stating that the perp used an automatic assault weapon of mass death[:'(]

I'll admit I give most civilians in the weeds with an assualt rifle a real wide berth unless I know them personally and their reputation.
Once again thankyou for your second amendment bigotry. Pox on you.

I firmly believe that it is counterproductive to classify rifles as "GOOD" and "BAD" but I totally agree with you about strangers with assault weapons afield.
Isn't interesting when the people talking to the media won't even consider the weapon an "assault weapon" but the so-called gun experts on such a site as this are quick to label it as such?
When was the last time a gun assaulted someone?

The mass murder makes me really angry and sad, but when I come back from deercamp and log on to a favorite site such as this and see such comments as Iee here, my head wants to explode.
[:@]

The attitude here doesn't sound any bit different than John Kerry and the rest of the gun banner buffoons- if you can't afford the $1000 gun that I use, you shouldn't be hunting.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

we need to quit using the term "assult rifle" THERE IS NO SUCH THING!
this is a term made up by the media to cast a negative light on military issue guns. i can take my sks, and do anything you can do, with any gun you have, at under 150yards. it is a fully capable, and ethical means to harvest deer
Old 11-28-2004, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Briman

I'll admit I give most civilians in the weeds with an assualt rifle a real wide berth unless I know them personally and their reputation.
Once again thankyou for your second amendment bigotry. Pox on you.

I firmly believe that it is counterproductive to classify rifles as "GOOD" and "BAD" but I totally agree with you about strangers with assault weapons afield.
Isn't interesting when the people talking to the media won't even consider the weapon an "assault weapon" but the so-called gun experts on such a site as this are quick to label it as such?
When was the last time a gun assaulted someone?

The mass murder makes me really angry and sad, but when I come back from deercamp and log on to a favorite site such as this and see such comments as Iee here, my head wants to explode.

The attitude here doesn't sound any bit different than John Kerry and the rest of the gun banner buffoons- if you can't afford the $1000 gun that I use, you shouldn't be hunting.

My friend, maybe the folks in your part of the country are pretty civilized, but more than once when out in the woods I have encountered obvious groups of gang bangers out and about toting SKSs, AKs, and other weapons that may not be fully automatic but nonetheless can send a lot of lead downrange in a hurry. Lots of natural forest land is used by gangs to cultivate marijuana, and God help you if you stumble onto one of these areas because you may well be shot at. This is one reason I don't hunt public land anymore. Being cautious of strangers with semi autos is NOT the same thing as being a proponent of banning them, which I most certainly am NOT. I AM one for staying away from idiots and obvious trouble. This isn't Second Amendment bigotry, this is good judgement.

My only experience with SKS rifles is confined to those owned by my buddies. None of these rifles groups worth a pinch of crap, even though they are interesting and fun to shoot at the range. If I was a hunter on a budget, I personally would opt for a surplus Mauser. I have several ex-military Mauser rifles, 98s and Swedes, that all shoot well enough to ethically hunt with. If you've got an SKS that you can shoot well, I can't and won't criticize you for hunting with it, but it sure wouldn't be my choice. To each his own.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

okeedokee. I am off this topic.

Quick Reply: Hunters killed in WI!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.