Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best SkS?

Old 11-20-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Best SkS?

Hello all, I was just wondering what u guys thought was the best make of the sks? I know there are several different kind.I saw a nice Yugo sks that i was thinking of picking up but I just thought i would get all of your opinions first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best SkS?

I'll say this, There are NO "NICE YUGO SKS's" in the world...they're all cheap pieces of crap.

There are TWO decent/good makers of SKS's, Norinco (China) and Russia...there are a few Yugos, czechs, and other "land of twenty names" SKS's out there that are good, but it's just dumb luck that THAT ONE RIFLE is decent, on the whole they're crap. Norinco's and Russian SKS's are generally a bit better quality, but there's no guarantee.

I've had probably 14-16 SKS's of various makes, the only ones that I've "liked" have been the Russian and Chinese Screw bbls and ONE pin bbl Norinco that I've got that's a TACK DRIVER...
Old 11-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

best SKS = Oxymoron
Old 11-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with NOMERCY that the norrinco and russan are the best if new .I have handeled other country of orign SKS's and found some good and some junk
Old 11-21-2004, 07:32 AM

The thing to keep in mind about the SKS is that it was intended to be a short range battle rifle, not a target rifle or a hunting rifle. I myself truly can't stand a rifle that won't shoot well, but if it is accurate enough for its intended purpose then I can live with that. Most SKS rifles that I have seen seem to be able to put a bullet somewhere onto a man sized target at 100 yards or so provided the shooter does his or her part. This is probably what they were meant to do. Delivering a disabling hit on an opponent isn't the same as making a humane one shot kill on game with a round of adequate power. For this reason, and because it takes more training and marksmanship skills than I have to be really, really good with open sights, I myself would not choose an SKS as a hunting rifle.

If I felt I needed a self defense rifle, however, I would consider the SKS, preferably a Russian.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I need to drop back in here....there aren't many, if any, great SKS's, but the Norinco and Russian SKS's do pretty well if you find a good one.

The "tack driver" that I refered to in my first post with throw an honest 3" group at 250yrds...Not bad for ANY semiautomatic rifle!!!

Any gun owner that owns any guns just to have them should have an SKS, they're just fun to shoot. If yours turns out good, then hunt with it, but as cheap as they are, you're not hurting to try a few on...they're just fun to plink with on the whole...
Old 11-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

I personally see no reason to own and SKS... If I want to "plink" I will go get at 10/22, if I want to go hunt I will get a "hunting" rifle, which is definately not an SKS!!! It would be at the absolute bottom of my list in guns which one should own!
Old 11-21-2004, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: newguy23

I personally see no reason to own an SKS... If I want to "plink" I will go get at 10/22, if I want to go hunt I will get a "hunting" rifle, which is definately not an SKS!!! It would be at the absolute bottom of my list in guns which one should own!
As they say, different strokes for different folks. I don't own an SKS either; I passed up many of them when they were a hundred bucks for a new unissued SKS, but lots of people find enjoyment in owning, collecting and shooting them. Others have passions for handguns, cowboy-style guns, blackpowder guns, and lots of other thinsg I don't care for.

My personal passion used to be ex-military bolt action rifles, with heavy emphasis on anything Paul Mauser had a hand in designing. Lots of folks are bored silly with these. My tastes have now migrated to bolt action hunting rifles.

My only point here is that as gun owners who cherish our firearms rights, we should not disparage one another for our differing tastes. Dividing guns into Good (for now) and Bad is a very effective tactic to whittle away at our firearms rights. The right to keep and bear arms has more to do with military uses of firearms than it does for sporting uses, and I see no reason to empower the gun haters with divisions amongst ourselves. One "should" own whichever gun suits one's tastes, shouldn't one?
Old 11-22-2004, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

I just don't see why the SKS would suit anyone's taste, there are a lot better options out there!!! It is the same argument the remington people lay on teh 710... I don't think we are gun snobs. I would never consider the SKS a collecters item...

My big fear is that in Kentucky I see a lot of people out hunting deer with these guns. I just hate to see animals injured with poor shots, and let me tell you after the first day of modern gun I was very concerned. Too many blam, blam, blam shots convinced me people weren't doing there homework in sighting in a gun or using an appropriate weapon.

I know you guys will jump all over my back, but I wish they didn't allow people to hunt deer with semi-auto weapons. There is no need for it and it allows for this type of attitude to fire multiple rounds a target and hope you hit something.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:14 PM

The only thing i use my sks for is shooting cars at the dump! They are pretty much all junk and unacurate peice's OS! Keep in mind they wern't made to drop a buck at 200 yards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.