Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best SkS?

Old 11-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best SkS?

I don't know why people jump all over the SKS or AK's or MAK's, when no one says anything about the Garand, M-1A, or even the BAR's, Benneli M-1, Rem 7400's, Ruger Mini 14/30, or the Ruger Deerfield...change a the stock and sights on an SKS and you're really not that far from the same design as these other guns...Just because the gas system is on top doesn't make it evil.

When someone says we shouldn't get to hunt with Semiautos, I have the same response as many others here, "then why don't we all just use a single shot?" I personally HAVE hunted with an SKS, and have not yet NEEDED it to be a semiauto (i.e. spraying and praying), while I HAVE had instances on brown bear where I WISHED my Ruger M-77 .30-06 WAS a semiauto...No one would argue that we shouldn't get to hunt with revolvers or lever rifles, but I've seen clips of cowboy action shooters that would rival most semiauto's in rate of fire (26rnds from 4 different guns-two revolvers, a rifle, and a pump shotgun-in 24seconds for example).

A rifle is a rifle, just because one CAN be fired slightly faster-although I doubt a pump or lever rifle is really much slower in the right hands-they aren't much slower in my hands...the bolt still has to travel the same distance, and the bullet still has to hit the same place.