Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pistols for dummies >

Pistols for dummies

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pistols for dummies

Old 11-18-2004, 10:21 PM

Default Pistols for dummies

I wish there was a Pistols for dummies Book, lol. I have a few questions that i hope some of you will be able to answer.

It's my birthday tomorrow, and my father is going to take me out to get a pistol over the weekend. I am a avid bowhunter, and i would like to pack a pistol when i go. Therefor i want a relatively light pistol, but i am a big, strong guy, so i am not worried very much about the weight and size. I am thinking somewhere around a 4 inch barrel, but i am not sure of what caliber or style to go with, and yes Money IS AN ISSUE. I would want something powerful enough for a bear sized animal. I have looked at 44 mag's, 45 cal., 357 mags and just plain 357's. I have looked at semi- auto and i have looked at regular 6 shot revolver style. What would you reccomend. I have no real problem with the recoil, so that is not a issue. I just want something that i can pack safely and something that will be reliable. and i don't want to be "underguned"

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the help. I will probabley go in saturday or sunday.

IDaho
Old 11-18-2004, 10:50 PM

Default RE: Pistols for dummies

Being as recoil is not an issue, but money is, I would suggest you take a look at the
Ruger Blackhawk single action revolvers. Very strong, accurate, and available in
44Mag. (or 45Colt if you want to handload some real bearstoppers).

Here's a link to Ruger website: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/index.html
Old 11-18-2004, 11:01 PM

Probably just me but I would rather have a double action revolver in .44 mag if I was worried about bears. I don't want to have to remember about cocking it under stress. A double action .44 with a 4" barrel would be about perfect. You can get a Taurus in .44 for a reasonable price.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, I'm going to comment, I don't mean to sound like I jerk, but you asked for help, and this will help you sound more like you know what you're talking about.

You haven't looked at ".357 mags and just plain .357's"...There isn't a ".357" and a ".357mag", the .357 IS the .357 mag, unless it's the .357 MAX, or .357Sig, neither of which I'm prone to believe you looked at as the max is a VERY custom gun, and the sig is an auto pistol.

A single action means you have to cock the trigger for every shot, it's the best idea for a beginner. A double action means you just pull the trigger and it goes boom. Really, SA means the trigger only does ONE thing, it trips the sear/hammer. DA means it does two things, cocks the hammer and trips it. DA's can be fired SA by cocking the hammer manually, but can also be fired simply by pulling the trigger...however, the trigger pull doing this is usually quite heavy and LONG.

It's hard for a beginner to go wrong with a Single Action .357mag like a Ruger Blackhawk or Ruger Vaquero (fixed sights) in 5.5" bbl. Since you're a "big strong guy", I might suggest a .41mag...which is available in a Ruger Blackhawk in 4 5/8" and 6.5" bbls, and also in the Super blackhawk if I recall correctly. Or a .44mag, which lets you learn with .44spcl rounds, then jump up to the .44mag rounds when you're ready...it's available in their Vaquero and Super Blackhawk models in various bbl lengths. It's also available in their Double Action Redhawk.

OR, you could go the other way, if you're not looking to hunt with this, Get a Ruger P-series auto pistol in 9mm or .45acp. A good 1911 is HARD to beat as well, I suggest Springfield Armory and Kimber, Colts are WAY over priced and not any better as those two.

A Ruger revolver can usually be had for around $400-500 new, the pistols can be had for $400-450 usually, the 1911 pistols are typically $500 and up.

If I could do it all over again, I'd do it the same way I did it this time...I'd buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag, feed it a LOT of .44spcl ammo until I got the hang of it, then start hunting with the .44mag ammo....I picked up DA revolver and auto pistol shooting very quickly after that starter gun.

You might also consider a .22lr semiauto pistol like a Ruger Mark II (or the new Mark III), it's just NECESSARY to have a .22lr pistol, and it's CHEAP to practice, so you can learn a LOT with one.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:42 AM
DM

I hope you don't think i'm picking on you but,

Unless your going to practice with this handgun ALL THE TIME, you'd be much better off with a short shotgun!!!!

Would you go buy a big caliber handgun to hunt bears with????? If the answer is NO, then why think you will automatically be good enough with one to use it when your life depends on it most??

My vote is to get a good quality 22 handgun, and practice, practice, practice, and have some fun with it!!!

Buy your self a short shotgun to carry as a defence weapon.

Drilling Man
Old 11-19-2004, 09:53 PM

IF YOU ARE LEANING TWARD A 44MAG IN A 4 INCH BARREL START LOOKING AND DON'T BE AFRAED TO PURCHASE A USED GUN. PRACTICE AMO WILL BE A BIT SPENDY BUT IF IT IS WHAT YOU WANT YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH A .22LR. I WOULD HOWEVER CONCIDER GETTING SUCH A GUN, THEY ARE CHEAP AND FUN TO SHOT.

THERE ARE ALSO SOME OPTIONS IN A SEMI AUTO THAT YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK AT.

WHILE THE GLOCK IS A POPULAR GUN I AM NOT REAL FOND OF IT. THEY DO COME IN A VARIATY OF CAL. AND SIZES. THEY ARE A RUGED GUN AT A RESONABLE PRICE. GLOCKS ARE DOUBLE ACTION ONLY. THE DO NOT HAVE A TRADITIONAL SAFTY AND COME FACTORY WITH A LIGHTER TRIGGER PULL THEN MOST DA/SA SEMI-AUTOS AND DA REVOLVERS. THAT COULD BE CONCIDERED A GOOD OR A BAD THING DEPENDING ON HOW YOU LOOK AT IT ON ONE HAND YOU HAVE A LIGHTER TRIGGER PULL MAKING IT EASIER TO FIRE A ROUND ON THE OTHER HAND YOU HAVE A LIGHTER TRIGGER PULL MAKING IT EASIER TO FIRE A ROUND LOL. MEANING IT MAY BE EASER TO FIRE THE GUN ON ACCIDENT. THIS SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM BUT IN THE HANDS OF THE WRONG PERSON IT MAY BE.

AS FAR AS CAL. I AM NOT THE BEST PERSON TO SUGGEST AS I HAVE NO EXPERIANCE WITH DEFFENING AGENST BEAR HERE IN IOWA. I WOULD THINK ANY LARG CAL. WOULD DO.

WHAT EVER YOU GO WITH, GET SOMETHING YOU ARE GOING TO BE HAPPY WITH. AND THE WAY LOOK AT IS IF YOU BUY ONE GUN THAT IS A GOOD REASON TO START SAVING FOR ANOTHER ONE.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:44 PM

I don't know about the .357 with a mag or not. Like i said i am a dummy when i comes to pistol caliber knowledge. I am more of a shotgun man.

Also i didn't wana carry around a shotgun when i go bowhunting. The pistol is not because i want to shoot at a bear, just in case i have to.

I went to a large pistol club in Washington, where i tried out many pistols, both revolvers and semi-autos. I decided that i liked the glock semi-auto. So i bought a .45 compact glock. One of the reasons that i chose the glock over the other semi's is that it's grip has to be one of the best fealing ones out there. I loved the feal, so that is what i went with.

thanks for the advice on calibers and brands.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ruger redhawks are nice & come in varies barrel lenths - the one i have has a 7/12& scope rings 44 mag.

But since the gun is not for hunting in your case you said - just protecton/ in case.( just black bears/ or grizzly/& polar bear? That would matter some to me in what caliber id personaly chose some.

S&w makes a 44 made mtn/lighter weight revolver that is nice but kinda pricey.

If there are polar bears involved i am going with the largest pistol i can get
Old 11-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

good choice with the glock... Why? Because you went out and tried it and that is what you liked, so you are happy and that is what matters.

As for the comments that were made, everyone made good points but I think they were missing the boat, you were looking for a secondary weapon, not a hunting gun like the ruger.

I wish you liked a 1911, I just hate to see people go to the dark side (glocks). All kidding aside good choice and shoot the heck out of it!!!