HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   help!! with ruger 1A and 7x57 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/79666-help-ruger-1a-7x57.html)

furbman 11-18-2004 06:43 PM

help!! with ruger 1A and 7x57

Just picked up a Ruger 1A in 7x57, thought it would be a great round for deer this year, took it to the range, along with a few boxes of Hornady factory (didnt have time to work up a load). Ive had better groups with a shot gun!! Drove my self crazy ( not far to go) Figure the scope was bad, its been kicking around for a while. Went out today and bought a new Leu 2.5x8 and put it all together and off to the range. The same stuff, all over the place, resigning myself to have gotten a lemon, iremebered reading HERE,, about putting a washer or something under the fore arm wood, tried that and still the same thing. Was just getting ready to leave and go cry (thinking a should just use the old model seven in 308, it just always shoots well) The guy next to me returned my staple gun and offers me a few of his rounds he was using in his old military mauser, 7mm. so i could continue to torture myself. I tried it because it was different, 3 shots under an inch!! He was gone and do not know who he was, the bullets were heavier and longer, reloads i guess from the mixed brass. Any ideas?? I have a 1A in 7x57 22'' barrel with a 1x8 3/4 twist. Any sugestion on what to buy? I dont have time to get dies and work up a load and go back to the range, and I realy would like to use the new rifle for opening day wich is monday here. Thanks....Craig

furbman 11-18-2004 06:50 PM

RE: help!! with ruger 1A and 7x57

Oh yes i was using 139 gr sst's from hornady

Virginia7 11-18-2004 10:44 PM

I don't know how much money you want to spend on ammo (like you haven't spent
enough already, right), but I would try to pick up a box of each of these to try:
(all factory ammo)

Federal 140gr. Classic
Federal 175gr. Classic
Remington 140gr. Core-Lokt

It does sound a little like your rifle may prefer the heavier bullet weights (175gr.).
I suspect that was what you tried from your description of the cartridges. The above three represent most of that which is readily available for the 7x57 Mauser. Winchester
also loads a factory round, 145gr. bullet, but I don't see that around here much, and I think PMC has a couple loads. I think Federal also loads a Premium 140gr.
That's about it for factory ammo.
Great cartridge, the 7x57. Darn shame there isn't more interest in it, and more variety
in ammo. Mild recoil, generally very accurate, good penetration, and terrific deer cartridge. Be patient, the 7mm Mauser is worth it.

furbman 11-20-2004 09:43 AM

Thanks for the help, I found that this rifle ...because of the fast twist rate, like a longer bullet, the only thing I could find on short notice was the federal 175's Guess it worked...just goes to show, keep trying...when i have time i will try reloading sone lighter bullets that are longer than the hornady 139's...maybe the 154 spire points or sierra's 160 hpbt's....but thanks.............Craig

furbman 11-20-2004 09:45 AM

here's the target!!!