Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 remington ammo = junk >

remington ammo = junk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington ammo = junk

Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Spike

Default RE: remington ammo = junk

I have used Remington shotguns all my life for birds, small game, & deer. I have had no luck at all with Remington ammo. I find it to be very inconsistant. I have been a firm beleiver that Remington firearms are made for Federal ammo. I use nothing but Federal for small game birds and slugs for deer. The only Remington ammo that I found superior to any other is there Hevi-Shot for geese. The shell are the stateof the art load. Being a hard core goose hunter I have tried them all. This Hevi-Shot load is the best on the market.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I been shooting Core Lokts for more than 10 years an never had a problem with them. I have taken deer at 300+ yards and find the ammo fairly good.

I switched to Federal Premium just last year not because misfires or poor accuracy but jus because I ran out of ammo and the only available ammo that day was Federal. Now I have mi deer rifel sighted with federals and is gonna stay like that as the rifle seem to like it better.

I think there is no need to throw such %$#"!# to remington. After all, you get what you paid for........

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I just did a little math on the subject "You get what you pay for" A box of Winchester 35's carry a ticket of $16.95 in these parts. A box of Remington Core Lokt goes for $15.99. That makes it (rounded up) .90 per shot on the Winny's and .80 per shot on the Remmies. BUT! when you take out the 3 rounds I had in ONE box that did not go boom the Remmies suddenly jump up to .94 per shot and a ton of aggrevation. I think that what irks me the most was the response or absolute lack there of from the folks at Remington. Left me with the impression of "Tough $&*T, Chew Harder. So there it is, you get what you pay for.................but I at least expect to be kissed after I get, well you know what I mean.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:30 PM

you could look at it the other way though. was it the ammo or was it the gun? if the fireing pin is weak it may shoot 200 rounds but have 1 that won't go off.

not a big core lokt fan but think about how many rounds they pump out in a year. sooner or later one of those rounds are going to be duds.

also was your ammo brand new? or has it been laying around? it could have picked up residue and you just didn't notice. is your gun older? some times you will find that older guns have weak fireing pins, some new rifles can also have weak fireing pins.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:07 PM
bigcountry

Yea, I have to agree with some on here. If you have three duds in a box, chances are you might have some headspaceing issues. Not too uncommon. If I was you Rod, I would take that gun to a gunsmith and have a no-go gauge put in it. 3 rounds out of a box? I don't like thier ammo any more than the next guy, but I have shot thousands and used kleenbore primers for too long to hear that.

Sure you might get some ammo with different shoulder lengths and mask the problem, but you might be just that masking a problem.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:16 PM

I've had 2 duds on the firing range from rem. 30-06. My biggest gripe is they don't seem to put the powder in them that the others do. I have found this in the '06 and .243 win. cg
Old 11-17-2004, 12:08 AM

In 1989 I had a buddy have a corelokt misfire when he was shooting a nice 8 point standing right in a scrape. I've been shooting Fed Premium since then with no issues, and their 150 grain 30-06 boat-tail has performed well EVERY time. I had an earlier post where I mentioned I was thinking of shooting the managed-recoil stuff this year, but I've now reconsidered and will stick to the Feds. After all, I can never remember the recoil after shooting a deer anyway-

I'll probably open a can of worms by saying this, but in my opinion you should always shoot premium loads of some type with the best bullets you can possibly afford. After all, by the time gun season rolls around I usually have 2-3 deer in the freezer, so at most I'll be shooting at one or 2 deer during gun season...I can afford the extra 40 or 50 cents per shot.

My father in law has a great philospohy when it comes to this- he takes one pheasant trip per year that costs a bunch of money- if he has to spend a couple of extra bucks per box on premium pheasant loads, it adds very little to the overall cost of the trip-
Old 11-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mastinson You may want to check your firing pin and spring. I have shot thousands of rounds from assorted ammo manufacturers, including Remington, and have never had a misfire. You may have oil buildup around the spring or firing pin or maybe just a weak spring. I would check this out before you go out again.
Good Hunting...
Old 11-17-2004, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Guys, you are only reading part of the threads. There was a hefty dent in the primer on all of the rounds that didnt go. Believe me it is not the gun as my gunz are ALWAYS spotless. I dont oil my gear like alot of others (drop here drop there) I take them down to parade rest and wipe each piece with an oily cloth so "buildup" isnt an issue. The ammo was less than 1 year old as I shoot alot and cant seem to hang onto it very long. That is another reason I have started reloading. The ammo is always stored in a 50 cal military box with desicant packs in a conditioned space. With the 35's the lot numbers were not the same but had 3 out of 1 box and 2 out of another. The 270 rounds were out of 1 box. Prior to this I had access to ammo on the dealer level and had 25 boxes (this lasted 3 years) of the PMC in 35 Remington. Sure wish I could have that back as it shot great out of all 3 of my 35's and its the cheapest ammo available, I paid less than $8 a box and never a misfire in those. I dont have a set of go-no go's but I dont think its a headspace problem or I should see some signs in the brass during the measure/inspect process prior to the reload, all 3 are pretty much the same. Again all the rounds had very good pin hits. Whatever, you will NEVER see remington factory ammo in this house less the 22 rimfire.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Well I have had a cup of joe and read my earlier post above and it appears that I have not read the entire thread as well. Snipers comments were not directed to me and I do apologize. Just get pretty worked up with the Remington ammo issue. We all have our favorites and opinions and I will put this to rest and finish skinning the 7 pointer hanging in the garage.

Quick Reply: remington ammo = junk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.