Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 7mm Ultra Mag >

Remington 7mm Ultra Mag

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 7mm Ultra Mag

Old 11-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 7mm Ultra Mag

I was at Cabela's looking at a 7mm Ultra Mag, when I was approached by a fellow shopper who told me the 7mm Ultra Mag would not be manufactured much longer due to lack of sales.

Is this true??
Old 11-14-2004, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remington 7mm Ultra Mag

Its a very specialized cartridge and they are not going to get the volume of lets say short magnums. Based on Remingtons track record with certain cartridges and dropping them it may or may not be true.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 7mmultramag and two 7mmstw's.The extra case capacity of the 7mmultramag only adds 50fps to 75fps velocity over the 7mmstw despite burning significantly more powder.People are realizing that the large ultramag case doesn't add much using 7mm bullets so sales are slow.On the other hand the 300ultramag is doing much better sales wise.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:06 AM

I would have to agree with the man that approached you, in the 3 boards I go to, there are very few people shooting this round. There is also a great lack of factory ammo, and the best bullets ever used in this caliber (Nosler Partitions) have been dropped by Remington in favor of their Core Lokt Ultras.

Realistically, there is no need for this caliber. 7mmSTW, as said before, has almost the same velocity, plus it has a much better foothold than the RUM when it comes to buying factory ammo. My friend has a model 700 in this caliber, and it's a nice rifle, but if I had much rather have the STW. Just my .02

Hope this helps,
timba
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Spike

I stand by the 7RUM , it will drop anything! I hope it's around for a long time .
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a thought. How many folks do you hunt with that use any of the RUM cartridge? I'd guess between the regulars, the not so regulars and the other camps in which I have hunted (including a few "outfitter" camps) I have hunted with 100 +/- different folks over the past 5 years. Not one uses any of the RUM cartridges. No sales = bye-bye ! May take a few years, but I suspect about all of these as well as the "fat boys" like the SAUM, SM and SSM lines will drop off the map. And we'll be stuck with same-o, same-o, not sexy, 30.06 Spr., 243 Win., 7 mm Rem. Mag., 300 Win. Mag., 30-30 Win,. 270 Win., and the like there of.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Spike

Default 7 rum

I know I'm finding this post very late but , The 7 RUM is a Great Rifle , it cycles Very smoothly . It shoots like a laser at Long Range , too bad someone told you it wasn't going to be made any longer . Many pick on it because of many leaning towards .30 caliber rifles = the .300 RUM , but if you load the 7RUM with 175 grain A-Frame Bullets it will drop anything ! It's my go to Rifle !
Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Spike

Default 7 rum

I know it's not a main stream round as popular as an '06 for example but when I bought it , all they had was the 7 RUM , a .375 H&H , and a .416 Rigby it was the smallest of the three so I took it . I just didn't want those other two cannons although they are good rounds also . I guess I got a good one , it works really well I have no complaints as far as it working well and shooting tight groups are concerned . No the barrel doesn't overheat after 3 shots , thats an old wives tale for me . Never seen it happen . You guys are right , no sales may mean we won't see it but I hope that doesn't happen .
I have run into people who have it or the .300 RUM , so they do have a fan base that I hope keeps growing . I wish Everyone here a Safe Hunting Season this year and Good Luck .
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Spike

I Respect the knowledge of all of you , I will get an .06 or a .270 in case someday I don't see the round for sale . But if I need that long shot I'm grabbing that 7 RUM .
Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did not mean to imply that any of the RUM cartridges were inferiror. In fact I think that the 300 RUM is one of the best cartridges out there for hunting about anything in NA. My comment was just that ... an honest, first-hand observation then an opinion. I just have not seen anyone using any of the RUM's. Even in the mule deer hunting camps I have been in out in Montana where long range opportunities abounded.

The current group of guys and gals with whom I hunt deer with regularly use :

243 Win. (2)
25.06 Rem. (1)
6.5 mm Rem. Mag.(1)
6.5x55 SE (1)
7mm/08 Rem. (1)
257 Roberts (1)
270 Win. (6)
280 Rem. (1)
30/30 Win. (3)
308 Win. (4)
30.06 Spr. (9)
7mm Rem. Mag. (1)
300 STW (1)
300 WSM (1)
8 mm Rem. Mag. (1)
444 Marlin (1)
12 ga. Rifled Slug Gun (1)

This list certainly does indicate that there is a fairly wide variety of rounds being used down this way. Some you might say rather an odd choice for deer sized game ... 8 mm Rem. Mag. being one. And clearly the "usual suspects" are the more popular ... 270 Win. and 30.06 Spr. But no RUM's.

Last edited by Mojotex; 09-03-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Remington 7mm Ultra Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.