Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slugs out of my bird gun? >

Slugs out of my bird gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slugs out of my bird gun?

Old 11-12-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Slugs out of my bird gun?

I have a Rem. 1100 (smoothbore) and I am about to be putting some slugs through it.

I think I have a handle on this but I want to run a few things by you guys to make sure.

I doubt choke makes a difference--as long as I avoid Mod. and tighter there shouldn't be any damage done, right???

I know each gun is different and I should test a variety of brands and styles to find preferred ammo, however, are rifled slugs generally better out of a smoothbore or should I stick to the foster style in your opinions???

Thanks for any comments or supplied suggestions...
Old 11-13-2004, 02:43 AM

Default RE: Slugs out of my bird gun?

I'd say as long as you're using IC you should'nt have any problems as far as the barrel goes.

With the smooth bore I think rifled slugs are probably your best bet.

Now, the only thing I'm wondering is since you're using a gas operated gun (I've only used my pumps for slugs) I wonder about the effects of the increased operating pressure and whether or not a change of recoil spring would be warrented to be sure you're not damaging the gun. Might want to contact Remington on that one.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot rifled slugs through my remington 870 with a modified choke with no problems you could even shoot a rifled slug through a full choke "NOT" Xtra full or turkey full without any problems other then even wurse accuracy. Ideally use a cylinder choke for best accuracy even then accuracy still seriously lacks, unless you have a rifled slug barrel try to keep your slug shots at 30 yards and under any further the accuracy is really bad in my opinion slugs from a smoothbore you are just wasting your time.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:07 AM

When I used my bird gun for deer hunting I used a rifled choke tube. It improved the accuracy to the point I was confident taking shots out to about 75 yards. Cabelas
sells them for about $30, plus shipping.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:11 AM

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought about the extra pressure and recoil spring, I may have to look into that one. As far as distance goes--I wasn't expecting much. That's what the rifle is for. I have found a swamp between two nice fields that the deer frequent alot. I wasn't expecting to shoot more than 50yds and I already knew accuracy was going to less than desired[>:], so I can show a little restraint. I have it scouted pretty well and figure I would hunt it from daylight to about 9am, from then on, put the #7.5's back in the smoothbore and go after my rabbits and quail as usual. Thus, removing the need to tote two guns to the field[&:].

Thanks again guys
Old 11-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

be careful I shot a slug out of my mossberg 500 with a mod choke tube in it and it ruined the barrel it actually ripped the barrel about 8-10 inches from now on I only use a slug barrel for slugs
Old 11-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot slugs in a mod choke on my 870, Can I shoot 00 Buck in a smoothbore slug barrel with any accuracy .
Old 11-13-2004, 08:42 PM

Can I shoot 00 Buck in a smoothbore slug barrel with any accuracy .
to about 50 yds max
Old 11-14-2004, 06:48 PM

Pyral,

my neighbor has been knocking deer down with his 1100 for the last ten years. It's a sweet rig, and shoots tight groups from a smoothbore slug barrel. He loves the quick follow up shot it allows when pushing[ deer from the thickets. I wouldn't worry about how your gun will perform, once you find the right ammo. His likes Fed classics.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

be careful I shot a slug out of my mossberg 500 with a mod choke tube in it and it ruined the barrel it actually ripped the barrel about 8-10 inches from now on I only use a slug barrel for slugs
Thats kinda weird ive shot alot of slugs through my mossberg 500 with both a modified or full choke with no problems. just like pyral i had the same idea of not taking two guns to the field, id use slugs in the morning for deer and bird shot later for rabbits or birds. during waterfowl season id take a couple hevi shot slugs with me in case i saw a deer during the extended deer season which went on during goose seasons. id use the hevi shot slugs because you cant have any kinda of lead projectile while hunting water fowl and the heavy shot slugs are made from the same alloy as hevi shot (non lead projectile). good luck

Quick Reply: Slugs out of my bird gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.