Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Drillings info >

Drillings info

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Drillings info

Old 11-09-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Drillings info

While sitting in a blind opening weekend, I was pondering what would be the "ideal" rifle for my situation. I believe it might be a Drillings! On my lease in Edward County, TX you never know what might show up- turkey, whitetail, an escaped axis, quail, bobcat, coyote, javalina. I began to realize having a choice between a shotgun AND a rifle would be very convenient. Does anyone have any info on Drillings or websites I can look at?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Drillings info

Although they are not in a class with the Drillings, I found the Savage over/under a very good gun. A 223 over 20 Ga might work well. I had and really enjoyed a 222 over 20 Ga. quite a few years ago. It might work for you. DM may chime in with the info you are looking for. Good Hunting.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:32 PM
DM

Did someone call my name??? :&gt

Anyway, i have a couple drillings, and they have been great!! I also have always hunted where anything might come along??? Moose? grouse?? Duck??? Rabbit??

Many times on long hunts, i'd slide in my 22lr "insert bbl." in the right shot bbl., and shoot some small game like the above grouse i mentioned above, OR, once my big game tags were filled, i could do some duck and goose hunting!!

What are you looking for?? I may sell one of mine, and it's a Krieghoff 16x16x30-06, it also has an rim fire insert bbl fitted, and this gun really shoots good!!!

Anyway, send me an instant message if your interested.

DRilling Man

Old 11-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

try going to WWW.gunsamerica.com you can find any gun you want here and its just fun to look at expensive guns.[link]http://www.gunsamerica.com[/link]
Old 11-10-2004, 07:09 AM

I have seen a write up on the Savage gun, but think a .223 is probably too light for deer (even our monster TX whitetail). What I'd really like to see is a o/u with 12 or 20 ga and a 6.5x55. Yep, that would be just about perfect for me. It would be a deer rifle first and a shotgun second, just in case turkey wander by.

DM- I mainly have tons of questions. I realize Krieghoffs are the cream of the crop and come in many configurations. On those rifles are all the barrels braised together? How do you attach a scope? How do you find the accuracy of the rifle? Do you ever feel limited when carrying your Krieghoff afield? As you can see, Drillings have caught my attention.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I also had one of those Savage rifles in 30-30 over 20 Ga. You can use spitzer bullets since its a single shot. I have never felt handi-capped using any of my six or eight single shots. One good shot will do the job and with practice you can reload them about as fast as you can work a bolt.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just checked the Savage site. They still make the Savage in 30-30 over 12 Ga. as well. They are good and very accurate guns.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:45 PM
DM

DM- I mainly have tons of questions. I realize Krieghoffs are the cream of the crop and come in many configurations. On those rifles are all the barrels braised together? How do you attach a scope? How do you find the accuracy of the rifle? Do you ever feel limited when carrying your Krieghoff afield? As you can see, Drillings have caught my attention.
All drillings are expensive, unless you find one on it's last leg!!!

Yes, all the bbls are attached together, and mine shoots "excelent"!! (see pict..)

Both of mine have scopes, and they are in factory "claw mounts". I can take the scope off without tools, and put it right back on, and YES it stays sighted in!!

NO, i don't feel "limited" in the field!! I've hunted so much in the bush with mine, that it's quite normal to pick it up and use it for what ever the need is at that moment!!! I hunted in Tx with mine some years ago, I snapped my scope on and shot a Havolina, it was great fun!

I've owned or own the Savages, Valmets, and other combi's, and they aren't even in the same ball field with what we are talking about here. I'm NOT trying to offend anyone here, but trust me, i own both, and i have combination buns in about every cal. you can think of, so...........

Drilling Man

Old 11-11-2004, 03:15 PM

DM- Been doing some more research on the internet. Do you know anything about the Baikal IZH 94, Valmet 412, or Tikka 512? The one article I found on the Tikka wasn't positive. I sent you a PM, check your inbox.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:58 AM

I've found most of the Savage rifes don't pattern the two barrels together. In other words if you have the windage set on the rifle, the shotgun barrel may very well pattern far right or far left.

I owned a Saur 12x12x.243 that had all three barrel regulated well. But as with any quality drilling, you're talking a pile of money.

A friend of mine had a vrilling (four barrel gun) for a number of years.

Quick Reply: Drillings info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.