Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Copper fouling >

Copper fouling

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Copper fouling

Old 11-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Copper fouling

No matter how much I clean my rifle there's always copper fouling in there. Is that normal? Should it ALL come out when cleaning cause it's visible when I inspect the barrel?

I've been using Hoppe's #9. I don't know...maybe it's not potent enough.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Copper fouling

I've been using Hoppe's #9. I don't know...maybe it's not potent enough.
Exactly,hoppes#9 does remove powder fouling but is practically useless at removing copper.Try barnes cr-10 or sweets7.62 and the copper will be gone in short order.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I second what stubblejumper said either the CR10 or Sweet 7.62 will get it done. I might add follow the instructions on the back of the CR solvent you buy, leaving it in the bore for extended periods of time can cause damage!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Try Butches bore shine or Hoppes br solvent. #9 is not very strong,that is why it smells so nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Done. I'll pick up a bottle of the Sweets or Barnes this afternoon. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2004, 08:02 AM

the guys are right, the Barnes and Sweets works best. I found I could remove even more copper fouling following up with Hoppes Elite products. It gets more carbon out to expose more copper. Works great

Old 11-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, I bought some Sweet's but I need some more help. The first two patches came out blue/green then I got a pretty clean one but the last two patches have been purple (totally different from the first two). Do I keep going til I get no coloration or is it just breaking down the metal now? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I continue cleaning until I can't see copper at the end of the bore.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

mistahmojoryan...........

Are you using a brass jag or brush with the Sweets?? If so, that will give you "false positives" on your patches because the brass is attacked just like the copper is by these solvents. You need to use a plastic jag and/or brushes with a copper solvent. This might explain you purple patches.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah Mark, I was using brass brushes but the guy I bought the Sweets from gave me a nylon brush which helped. Still, the nylon brush gets dirty and leaves "false positives" as well so now I'm just dripping Sweets down the barrel (with a stopper on the other end) and wiping it dry; it's working like a charm. I guess whatever method works best... lol, It's taking a long time but considering I haven't given this rifle a proper cleaning in 6 years over 200 rounds I kind of had it coming!

As it turns out the purple wasn't a big deal at all. It just started coming out much darker after the first few patches and is now slowly lightening up again.

Quick Reply: Copper fouling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.