Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help Please

Old 03-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Spike

Default Help Please

I have just acquired a Smith & Wesson revolver. On the barrel it says "38 S&W Special". According to the box, it is model 36-1.

According the the guy at the gun shop this is a 38 Special and I need to buy 38 Special ammo. I've talked to the folks at Smith & Wesson and they say I need to buy 38 S&W Special ammo. I know there is also a 38 S&W.

Experts (please no guessing), is there a difference between 38 Special, 38 S&W Special, and 38 S&W?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Please

Your Model 36 S&W uses 38 Special.38 Special Plus(+)P shouldn't be used in this snubby Use only 38 Special(non +P). 38 S&W was a shorter round dating back to 1877 that was used in older guns.The nominal bullet diameter for the 38S&W is .360. The case is also larger then the 38 special. Which means a 38 Special case should not be cut down and loaded for use it the 38S&W. Smith&Wesson introduced the 38 Special in 1902.I'm sure that's where the 38 S&W Special comes in. It's just a 38 Special and since S&W introduced it the S&W was included.Hope I explained it well enough for you to understand. Most of this info came from the new #13 Speer manual.I had a Model 36 and remember +P was not recommended to use in it. it's a 5 shot "J" frame Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

C120,

I'm not sure just how reliable this is, but here is a chart that shows the interchangeability of different rounds:
http://smgnt.banta-im.com/guideoutdo...s/balinfo2.HTM

Old 03-06-2002, 06:00 AM
Spike

Thanks RR and Mark. That exactly what I found out last night. After contacting Smith & Wesson three times it looks like they would say "Hey, foll. 38 S&W Special and 38 Special are one and the same." That even I can understand. Thanks again. Now I'm comfortable with it.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

C120 glad your comfortable with it now. You can get allot of information from Reloading manuals. Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-08-2002, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

The .38 Special and the .38 S&W Special are the same cartridge. The .38 S&W, as Ruger Redhawk stated above, is different, being older, shorter, and fatter than the .38 Special. Use only standard velocity .38 Special ammo in your pistol, and you should have no problems!!