Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Flinch problems >

Flinch problems

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Flinch problems

Old 10-30-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Flinch problems

I was out squirrel hunting last weekend and noticed that I've devoloped an uncontrollable flinch everytime I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. I don't want this to happen when deer season rolls around. Has anybody here ever had this problem? If so, how do you cure it?
Old 10-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Flinch problems

You could try using snap caps dry firing. This will help you get used to your trigger pull and get you used to squeezing the trigger without the recoil. Did you recently shoot some heavy recoiling rifles? you could also load some shells and snap caps at random and then shoot your gun. if shooting a revolver only fill 4 cylinders. This will help you to get a handle on your flinch.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Recoil can make me flinch, but muzzle blast makes me flinch much, much worse. You might try one of the "hunting hearing aids" that are marketed out there. I believe that they do a good job of dampening the noise of gunshots while not leaving you deaf as a fence post in the woods.

Recoil protection is also a good idea if you think this is a potential cause.

Use both when at the range!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:29 PM

go to the range and shoot about 1000 rouinds of 22 longrifle, concentrate on follow through the concentration on watching the results THROUGH THE SCOPE w/ the 22 really helps.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:08 AM

I shoot shotguns alot (dove, squirrel etc) which is terrible for creating a flinch when firing a rifle. I try to concentrate on the fundamentals...breathe, relax, aim, squeeze, shoot. Most importantly always fire the weapon when you have exhaled.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot a scoped .22 as much as you can and wear hearing protection even with the .22 it should help. also dry firing the centerfire would help.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:36 PM

One of the biggest causes of flinching is the feeling of absolutly NEEDING to get the kill/make the shot. I've seen it may times as a competitive shooter and hunter.

As has already been stated, alot of dry firing will help out. Another thing to try, is to make sure that you have a solid rest. If the crosshairs/sights aren't wobbling all over, it makes it much easier to squeeze the trigger.

Hope this helps,
Donavan