HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Looking for a .45 ACP bolt action rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/76409-looking-45-acp-bolt-action-rifle.html)

sot_II 10-19-2004 08:14 PM

Looking for a .45 ACP bolt action rifle

Any ideas? Don't want semi auto.

frizzellr 10-19-2004 10:31 PM

RE: Looking for a .45 ACP bolt action rifle

Never heard of one. I have to ask one question though....why would you want a 45 ACP rifle period, much less a bolt?

Swampdog 10-20-2004 02:24 AM

The only thing I know of is a kit in the DILLON BLUE PRESS Magazine that turns a 1911 model into a carbine.

James B 10-20-2004 04:52 AM

I don't think one has ever been made. At least not that ever heard of. I don't know what one would be good for either. You can get the 45 LC in a lever gun. Thats as close as you may get. There are revolvers that will also shoot 45 ACP and 45 Long colt both.

NE Hunter 10-20-2004 06:19 AM

"might' be able to have one custum made for the contender (single shot not bolt though) but they already make a barrel for the .45 Colt so why bother with the .45 ACP?

Briman 10-20-2004 06:49 AM

I've heard of a company that does such conversions on enfields, but I don't think they are in business anymore.

I don't think it would be that difficult of a conversion to pull off, the .45 ACP has the same rim size as a 30-06. Adapting the magazine to feed it properly would probably be the only hard part.

pharaoh2 10-20-2004 08:38 AM

Ruger builds a .44 Rem mag in a bolt gun. it's a far better choice anyways.

Rottweiler 10-20-2004 08:51 AM

I have one. It's a Mauser 98. Uses 1911 mags. I bought the conversion kit from http://www.rhinelandarms.com/

Took about 2 hours to put it all together including letting the dog in and out 3 times and answering the phone twice

Charley 10-20-2004 08:56 AM

Small company here in Texas makes conversion kits for large and small ring Mausers and Lee Enfields. Go here:[link]http://www.rhinelandarms.com/[/link]

Nomercy 10-20-2004 09:13 AM

I saw this thread last night and figured I wouldn't comment, since I didn't have much worth saying, but since no one does, I'll throw in my two cents:

Personally, I wouldn't pay the kind of money someone would want for a bolt .45acp...no doubt it would cost as much or more than a typical bolt rifle, so it wouldn't be worth it.

Now, if someone came out with a bolt action .45acp (or 9mm, .40S&W, .357mag, .44mag, .45colt or any other COMMON handgun cartridge) that was along the lines of a "Cricket" on cost, say around 150-200 bucks for the pistol cartridges and under $250 for the revolver cartridges, I'd seriously consider one.

Even if I just used it for target shooting and small game, it'd be worth having I think. I'm picturing something on the lines of a compact rifle, 16-18" bbl, very short overall length using a detachable pistol magazine preferably (ever think about loading .45's through a bolt!!!). It'd be a lot of fun and cheap to shoot.

In .45acp, I'd use it for deer as well, I've used a .45acp pistol and a carbine (thompson knock off) and a 9mm carbine for deer, and I've SEEN a 9mm pistol used for deer, and much like the .223, they work, even if no one likes them.

There isn't such a gun, however, and there likely never will be.

One thing that comes to mind: Look at the success of the Ruger 77/44. Being such a LOVER of the .44mag myself, I'm very pleased to see that Ruger shares my affection (or affliction!!!), i.e. the 77/44, Deerfield carbine, 96/44, Super Blackhawk and SBH Hunter...but I honestly don't think they're doing themselves any favors...Their .44mag "counterparts" cost basically as much as the standard cartridge bolt guns. Why pay that much for a less useful gun? I did and do because I like them, most people don't feel the same way.

However, the advantage of the .44mag is that it pretty well knows where it's going...while I can't say why they picked the .44mag and don't offer .45colts or .357mags (while I've got a good idea-rim and base dimensions), the .44mag is long enough to have a head and foot...the squat little .45acp doesn't really know where it's going. For example, throw a .44mag round into the air lofting, it'll likely spin and nose down striking straight down, try it with a .45acp, it doesn't always do that (I'm doing it now and I'm pretty much a 50/50 split for bullet down vs. on it's side or bottom)....This seems trivial, but it means a LOT when it comes to feeding.

Pistol actions only move a LITTLE compared to rifle bolt actions, while a .44mag is longer and better balanced, it offers more control in a longer that necessary action...producing a .45acp action would require one of two things. Either a .22mag action be beefed up and modified to carry the .45's, or a new action be developed that only pulled far enough to get reliable feeding.

No one likes controlled round guns, and most guys that buy them screw them up by dropping rounds in the chamber. It might be possible that a CRFP action could handle it, but I'm not certain, it's pretty hard to get a basketball to pick a direction without spinning.

Personally, I think a 9mm bolt gun would be more practical, as the 9mm's higher velocities give it better inherent down range accuracy for plinking and small game hunting, and the fact that it's even cheaper to shoot than the .45acp means more trigger time for the same dollar. However, I'm betting we'll never see such rifles.

Try on a Ruger 77/44, they're pretty hot, or maybe try out an Encore or Handi rifle in .45colt or .44mag. A pistol cal. Levergun is a lot of fun...Winchester has .357mag leveractions for under $300. Marlin's are better guns but cost a bit more too.