Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 'smithing question >

'smithing question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

'smithing question

Old 10-09-2004, 04:01 PM

Default 'smithing question

I have a couple gunsmithing questions.

First, I am planning to build a rifle on a Mauser action. Though I haven't settled on the caliber yet, I would like to equip it with a TANG mounted safety. Is it possible to install a tang safety on an action that wasn't originally designed with one? I think they are just easier to use in the field.

Second is it possible to remove the BOSS feature on Browning rifles? I am looking at an A-bolt in 375 H&H but don't want the Boss. IMO the reduction in recoil just doesn't justify the increase in noise or muzzle blast.

Last, does anybody (other than Browning) make a rifle in large calibers (375 H&H and up) that has a tang mounted safety?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 'smithing question

For question 3, the Ruger #1 has a tang safety. The 1H version comes in 405 Win, 375 Holland & Holland, 416 Rigby & 458 Lott these days. (Question 3 seemed to broaden the field. Hope I didn't get off thread for you)

Good hunting.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:35 PM

Not off thread at all. I knew about the Ruger. I am kinda hopin' for a bolt action. A single shot rifle in calibers that large kind of scares me. If anyone has experience with the Rugers in these calibers please let me know what you think of them. Specifically, How's recoil? The only experience I have with a single shot gun is with a shotgun (NEF 20ga). Recoil wasn't that bad but I imagine there's quite a big difference in a 20 guage shotgun loads and .375 H&H loads.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with the Ruger #1 is with the 45 70 in heavy loads and it is a bit of a mule. I am going to a Burris Signature Safari to keep the scope at a distance. (Sometimes I am stock crawler.) I would replace the buttstock with a 375 personally. The Ruger 1H comes with a heavier barrel than the medium sporter in a 45 70. I guess I am not sure what weight you are willing to tote. Out of all the stuff I drag out in the bush, an extra couple pounds in my rifle seems like nothing to me. Perhaps I am odd. I have fired a Remington in 375.... did just fine. At the same time, I don't bench 300 grains or more. I don't carry a bench into the bush so for me it is a moot point. I use a heavy tripod for zeroing.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

I saw a Mauser replacement trigger with a safety on the side of the reciver
Like a Remington.
If I were you,skip the Mauser project. You will have more money ,in it,than it would ever be worth!!!!!!! I have 2 here!!!! No reasonable offer refused!!!!!!!!! A 308 and a 22-250,both need finished.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

My 2 cents, I had an A-bolt in 375 H&H and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, It's a pain to load, especially in a hurry, The Browning service guy was a real jerk over the phone.
Bought a CZ and couldn't be happier.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:46 PM

I have a No. 1 in .458 Win. Mag. and it is not at all unmanageable. W/O scope it is 9 1/2 lbs. That weight definitely soaks up some recoil. I would have to say it is considerably more than a 30-06 but a little less than a .300 RUM. The capacity of the rifle will have nothing to do with recoil, weight will.

As for the BOSS, you can get a BOSS CR (Conventional Recoil). It is the BOSS without the muzzle brake.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:04 PM

I'm lookin at the CZ real hard, regardless of where the safety is. I don't recall having heard anything bad about them and in fact just about everything I've read has been the highest of compliments. The price is definately right!

As far as the building project, the only reason I'm doing it is because I like to tinker and build things that I can use. I don't think it's something I would ever get rid of. I want to experiment with some wildcat cartridges. I may even barrel it in 416 Taylor just for fun. I may put more in it than it is worth to someone else but it's sure cheaper than having one custom built from one of the manufacturers. E.R. Shaw will shortchamber and thread for just about any caliber for $135.00 per barrel. After all is said and done I'll have less than $500.00 in it and I'll be able to say I did it myself.