HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Buying a new rifle. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/74530-buying-new-rifle.html)

e_slip 10-01-2004 12:21 PM

Buying a new rifle.

Since this is my first post here I would just like to say hello to everyone and that I hope I can help with some questions as people will do the same for me.
Anyhow here is my first question.
I am looking to buy a new rifle soon, I am looking for a fairly inexpensive rifle mostly for whitetail and also for some bigger game like moose and bear. I live in northern minnesota where there isnt much shooting in open fields. Most of the shots will go through atleast some kind of brush. On that note I have been using my grandpa's Ruger m77 .243 for the past 7 years or so, very nice rifle but I am looking for a bigger caliber that will go through brush and still knock a deer, bear or moose down. I have been looking at the savage m11 gns in the .300 wsm cal. My price range would be up to around $450. I have fired the rem mdl 710 just feels like a dense piece of plastic.
Others that I have looked at are the-
7mm mag
30 06
all comments welcome,
thanks and glad to be on board:D

kirkl 10-01-2004 01:04 PM

RE: Buying a new rifle.

I just bought a model 700 ADL 300 win mag. Havent shot it yet, waiting for scope but feels like a real good rifle. Have heard good things about it. Paid 350 for it, brand new.

James B 10-01-2004 01:18 PM

The gun does not exist that will shoot through brush and still hit where you aim. Brush can and will deflect any bullet. If such a thing did exist it would be the 45-70 or 444 Marlin. A better bet is a rifle with a good scope that allows you to see the twigs or brush that may deflect a bullet and allows you to shoot for the clear spots. Big round nose bullets may deflect slightly less than fast small ones but a good hunter will not bet on it. Good Hunting.

frizzellr 10-01-2004 04:26 PM

Well said James.

Steven Ashe 10-01-2004 04:43 PM

The old myth has been around for years, claiming that some calibers are "brush busters". As others have said, all bullets will be deflected by brush. You may still get lucky and get a clean, killing shot, but you should have enough respect for the animal to not depend on luck. Wait for the clear shot. That said, of the calibers you mentioned: The .270Win is a proven deer cartridge but limits you to lighter bullets. The 7mmRemMag is a very flat shooting game getter capable of taking all game up to the ones that will eat you! The 30-06 is the best all around of the ones that you named, capable of taking any game in N.America.

Ruger-Redhawk 10-02-2004 11:12 AM

e_slip welcome to the forum.You mentioned you've used you grandfather M77 in 243.Apparently you are use to that gun. I would suggest another Ruger M-77 in the 7mm RM.I have several of the M-77's and very happy with all of the ones I have fired.Most of mine are the "All Weather"models.I do have one in 7mm RM and it has performed well. In all honesty,it didn't like the Federal Premium Ballistic Tips.I tried Rem 150 gr CoreLokts and it shoots much better. Working up a load would improve it's performance much more I'm sure.I've shot a few deer with that 7mm and it lays them low in short order.I would definately stay way from the Remington 710. If money is an issue look at the Savage line.I used to like Remingtons.The way their customer service and quality has slipped over the years there won't be anymore in my future.

Ruger Redhawk

Nomercy 10-02-2004 02:51 PM

NO round will go "through" brush without deflection. Guys get away shooting through stuff only if it's RIGHT in front of their target.

Truth be told, the .22-250 would be a better "brush buster" than the .45-70. When you really think about what's problematic with shooting through brush, it doesn't come down to what round can hit twigs and carry on, it comes down to what rounds can fit in the narrowest "tube" of travel. Any round is going to deflect. Period. The typical brush busters have big slow bullets, and with that comes rainbowed trajectories...you need a bigger shooting "window" with a .45-70 than with a smaller faster round.

Personally, if I were in your shoes (and I have been as I lived in Elko, MN (1/2hr south of the cities), I'd buy either a compact bolt rifle in .308 or 6.5x55swede, or a lever action in .45-70 compact like the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. For short ranges, the .308 or swede will do sweet (The swede may be a little light for BIG moose, but for MN moose and blackbear, you'll be fine). The .45-70 isn't a "beginners rifle" really, with factory loads it's pretty mild, except wtih buffalo bore or Garret cartridge co ammo, but with hot hunting handloads, it's a THUMPER.

killer243 10-02-2004 03:42 PM

i have read an artical on "brush busters" they put up a target and shot through some twings and such and they used calibers ranging from 22-250-510 nitro. and this was there results
top 5 "brush busters"
1.22-250
4.510 nitro
5.7mm mag

if i were in your shoes i would look at something in the 7mm range. weather it be a 7mm,7mm mag or 280 they will all do what you are looking for.

Josh Sorensen 10-03-2004 02:56 PM

I would get a ruger 77 in either 30/06 or 7mm mag. They are both very good calibers and capable of handling almost anything you would want to hunt with them. They are also easily found just about anywhere. The 30/06 has a little bit of an edge with number of factory loadings but the 7mm has a slight edge with ballistics.

squirrely 10-04-2004 09:39 AM

greetings e_slip.
I am in the market for a new rifle as well. After doing my research I have decided to go with the Rem. 700 adl syn. in 30-06, this gun will cost around 350 dollars and for this price you get an excellent rifle with good slack to get a very nice scope, like a leupold or nikon ,or your prefrence, I like the leupold myself. I hope that this may give you another way of looking at your options.