Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Buying a new rifle. >

Buying a new rifle.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying a new rifle.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Buying a new rifle.

I agree with everyone else in stating that there is no caliber that will consistently buck the brush. That said the rifle you mentioned (Savage 300 WSM) will do what you are asking. There are enough factory loads available that you will be able to match your ammo to the game you will be hunting. One word of caution. You stated you have been using a 243. The 300 WSM will have considerably more recoil than the 243. You should only increase caliber size to the point at which you can handle the recoil. A 30-06 is the same caliber as the 300 WSM but will have less recoil. I would see if any friends or family members have a 30-06 and at least see if you can borrow it for a range session. Buy a box of Federal Premium HE ammo and see if you can handle the recoil and be accurate with the rifle. If you can I would go for the 300 WSM. If not drop down the a standard 180 gr. loading of the 06. If you can't handle the recoil here look to the 308, 270, or 280. These will certainly be minimum calibers for moose.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:21 PM

You may want to head to your local Walmart and check out the Winchester Super Shadows available in 270WSM, 7mmWSM and 300WSM. At the $399 price point with a scope included it's hard to find a better deal. You can upgrade to a better scope later. I have one in a 270WSM, it shoots great.

WSMDan
Old 10-31-2004, 02:54 PM

Savage would be a good choice. I don't know much about moose hunting, but a 7mm mag will take down a black bear and deer. If you bought the Savage you would still have a hundred or so dollars left to get a good scope.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:06 PM

Welcome e_slip! I can't add anything to what the others have said about brush busting calibers - - there just ain't none. Big slow moving bullets deflect less than small fast moving ones, but they all deflect.

I want to take a different tack here. My guess is that you aren't a reloader, and aren't going to become one anytime soon. If this is the case I would stay well away from the newer whizz-bang magnums that are coming out. Ammo for these will never be as abundant as it is for the .30-06 or the .270, nor as affordable. What others have said about recoil is also worth thinking about. The .243 is very mild; the .270 and the .30-06 are much more noticeable, and the .30 magnums can be quite unpleasant for many folks. Those of us from Minnesota would say, "Uff da!"[:@] If you must have a magnum, get a good recoil pad, and get a PAST shoulder pad for the range. These are worth every nickel, even if you shoot .30-06 class calibers.

If you stick with the .30-06 or the .270 you will have enough power for most of the critters you are likely to encounter. If I were to tackle a moose I would prefer the .30-06 over the .270 with heavier bullets (but pigs will fly before I ever get to hunt moose.)

As for rifles, most of the offerings out there are pretty good these days. Since it is a well documented fact that "Minnesota" is a Lakota Souix word for "Gawdawful Weather," I would recommend a synthetic stock and quite possibly stainless steel. You won't be disappointed in a Savage, a Ruger M77 MkII stainless, or a Remington 700.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.