Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I love the old swede. >

I love the old swede.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I love the old swede.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I love the old swede.

If the Swede ever made anything better than Swedish women, It is the Swedish Mauser. I took the Old Swede that I just bought back from my cousin to the Range today. It put seven shots in a very skinny inch and one half circle. None more that an inch from the center of the X ring. Its one of those rifles that when you shoot at a target and walk out there ,you will find that hole where it should be. Now that sounds like what any gun should do but it is seldom not the way it works. I know if I choose to do so I could put that bullet one inch behind the eye of an elk or deer. I was shooting the 120 grain Rem Corelokt bullets with H4350 powder. and 2.950 OCL. I think my load came from the new Speer Manual. This was a Model 38 Swedish Mauser. I added the cock on opening kit and a Timney adjustable trigger. I put a Ram-Line black Synthetic stock on it. We had to add some glass to the barrel channel as it was a loose fit even though they sold it as a drop-in stock. I also put a new saftey on it as the old ones can accidently back out one turn then misfire. I always shot the Hornady 140 grain bullets in it until now. The 120 has plenty of sectional density for deer hunting. For Elk and Moose there are some good 140 and 160 grainers. They sectional density is very high on these. A gunsmith friend of mine and I did the work on it so I still have less than 200 bucks in the outfit. It has an old World Class straight 4X scope on it. Those were very good scopes.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I love the old swede.

Ok James, you have me drooling again. Wish I could find one hereabouts.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sold my only swede to a buddy of mine a few years ago, it was his first deer rifle. I, of course, sold it on a "I'll buy it back when you're done" deal...He said I'm not likely to get it back!

Mine wasn't sporterized, although I did have a scope mounted on it (HIGH HIGH HIGH rise mounts/blocks). I used it for varminting and targets mostly. He's using it for everything now, and he's doing quite well in bench rest stock classes with it.

I don't think I could ever buy one of the Ruger's or other "sporting arms" chambered in the swede, as the mauser was as much a part of the attraction as the round's performance.

I sure wish I could find another one one of these days, or convince him he "needs something else" !!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose I could go to Wally World and put a M70 Featherweight on back order. I don't care much for radio antennas for barrels, but I could get it re-done later.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:17 PM

I've got three rifles in 6.5x55 and every one is a sheer delight to shoot. One is an M38 in original miltary configuration, one is an M38 that I dropped into a sporter stock (but saved all the original stuff in case I change my mind,) and my newest is a CZ550. This last has a Zeiss Conquest on top of it and is easily the most accurate out-of-box hunting rifle I've ever owned. The two military Swedes are exceptionally accurate as well. If you don't own a rifle in this caliber and ever have a chance to get one, I highly recommend it.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you think this is a cartridge that is inherently accurate? (The 222 remington & 308 winchester come to my beady little mind as inherently accurate.)
Old 09-30-2004, 09:47 PM

I've done an awful lot of my so called 'serious" whitetail hunting in the last couple of years with a sportered 96 Swede. 6.5x55 is a very tough cartridge to beat, 6.5 bullets have great sectional density and penetrate like nothing else, ballistic co-efficients are good enough that you are at no serious dis-advantage with the belted loudenboomers. I have three military M38s, a military M96, and AG42B (Llungmann) and a sportered 38 Swede. Waiting for a stock from Boyd's for a .257 Roberts I built on a Swede 96 action. I prefer the 96 Mauser over the 98 for most things.
Have to say, I don't care for the cock on opening kits...Kuhnhausen claims they cut away to many bolt threads, and I tend to agree with him. Cock on close actions have never been an issue for me, they feel fine.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biscuit Jake,
You can find Swedish M96's here: http://www.sarcoinc.com/guns12-1.html

I bought two of them from tis company about 3 years ago and have been very pleased with them, though the price they are selling them for now is about $50 higher.
The rifles have a bit of wear and tear to them, but once you take one of these apart to clean it up, and see the quality, you'll never look at a Remington or Winchester the same way again.

I've been thinking really hard about getting an M41b sniper rifle lately, but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to sell my wife on the concept[&o]
Old 10-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a swedish mauser made by Husquvarna and I wondered if anyone could tell me which model it is . !942 was the date of manufacture on it . Very good condition all original .
Old 10-01-2004, 04:36 AM

ORIGINAL: halcon

I have a swedish mauser made by Husquvarna and I wondered if anyone could tell me which model it is . !942 was the date of manufacture on it . Very good condition all original .
You have a Model 38. Your Husky will generally sell for more than a 96 or a 96 converted to 38. If you want to maintain the value don't alter the rifle in any way! Drilling and tapping is a definate no-no.

Quick Reply: I love the old swede.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.